Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ozzie Guillen

Featured Replies

Well, I know that this may ruffle some feathers :blink: in Marlinland, but I have to say that I enjoyed Ozzie Guillen's support of my favorite style of baseball strategy, "Small Ball." I loved the part about him calling it "SMART BALL." I guess that before he's done, many people will start to realize the importance that he had when he was the Marlins' 3B coach.

 

For those of you "nay sayers," Ozzie has the best record in baseball without having the best talent.

 

It's good that even a moron can succeed with it.

 

 

"RUN FOREST!!! RUUUUN!!!"

 

Marlins vs White Sox---World Series very soon???

 

:mischief2

Well, I know that this may ruffle some feathers :blink: in Marlinland, but I have to say that I enjoyed Ozzie Guillen's support of my favorite style of baseball strategy, "Small Ball." I loved the part about him calling it "SMART BALL." I guess that before he's done, many people will start to realize the importance that he had when he was the Marlins' 3B coach.

 

For those of you "nay sayers," Ozzie has the best record in baseball without having the best talent.

 

It's good that even a moron can succeed with it.

 

 

"RUN FOREST!!! RUUUUN!!!"

 

Marlins vs White Sox---World Series very soon???

 

:mischief2

885334[/snapback]

 

Maybe it's the other way around. Maybe he learned how to play "small ball" after he was the Marlins 3B coach in 2003, the year that all we did to win was play Small Ball. Now isn't that much more reasonable than implying that the 3B coach was actually telling the team how to play?

  • Author

Well, I know that this may ruffle some feathers? :blink: in Marlinland, but I have to say that I enjoyed Ozzie Guillen's support of my favorite style of baseball strategy, "Small Ball." I loved the part about him calling it "SMART BALL." I guess that before he's done, many people will start to realize the importance that he had when he was the Marlins' 3B coach.

 

For those of you "nay sayers," Ozzie has the best record in baseball without having the best talent.

 

It's good that even a moron can succeed with it.

 

 

"RUN FOREST!!! RUUUUN!!!"

 

Marlins vs White Sox---World Series very soon???

 

:mischief2

885334[/snapback]

 

Maybe it's the other way around. Maybe he learned how to play "small ball" after he was the Marlins 3B coach in 2003, the year that all we did to win was play Small Ball. Now isn't that much more reasonable than implying that the 3B coach was actually telling the team how to play?

885422[/snapback]

 

 

To say that is being uninformed about the game over the many years because he was doing the same thing in Atlanta with Bobby Cox, prior to 2003. He was also a "Small Ball" player in his career. So I think that it is safe to say that he was well-informed of it before 2003.

 

:whistle

Ozzie has really turned around that team. The defense is much improved, driving the success of the pitchers and the team.

 

And it had been mentioned before, but the White Sox were on the really odd teams in past years where they were inconsistent with their run scoring. Often scoring 0 runs or more than 6. Even when Toronto refused to bunt of steal bases a few years ago, they didn't have the same feast or famine offense the White Sox had. That has changed under Ozzie.

I don't think you can call it Smallball. He has said this before. Smartball and Smallball are two different things.

 

White Sox ML rank:

 

R- 6th

BA- 16th

OBP -21st

HR- 6th

SLG- 10th

XBH- 21st

SB- 1st

SF- 1st

SH- 16th

 

You might say this is the middle between Smallball and Moneyball. It employs the best of both sides.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.