August 31, 200521 yr Third baseman Sean Burroughs rejoined the San Diego Padres for the stretch drive on Wednesday, 5? weeks after being demoted to Triple-A to try to regain his batting stroke. Burroughs, whose average had dropped to .255 when he was sent down to the Portland Beavers on July 23, will be used as a pinch-hitter and to give third baseman Joe Randa an occasional rest. ??I'm excited. There's no guarantees or anything,'' said Burroughs, the Padres' first-round draft pick in 1998. Burroughs caught a 6:30 a.m. flight from Tucson, where the Beavers played Tuesday night. ??I couldn't get here quick enough,'' he said before the Padres played an afternoon game against Arizona. To make room for Burroughs, right-handed reliever Paul Quantrill was designated for assignment. Burroughs batted .290 with three home runs, eight doubles, 14 RBIs and 21 runs in 32 games with the Beavers. With the Padres, he had just one homer and 15 RBIs in 78 games. ??It's always hard to leave a team, especially when we were doing so well,'' he said. ??But you can read the fine print sometimes. You can kind of feel stuff as an inevitable thing. It was definitely the best decision the Padres could have made. I had a great time.'' Burroughs was sent down the same day the Padres acquired Randa from the Cincinnati Reds for two minor leaguers. Randa has hit .242 with three homers and 10 RBIs with San Diego. He hit a go-ahead homer in Tuesday night's 7-5 win over Arizona, which gave the Padres a 5?-game lead in the NL West and pulled them to one game below .500 at 65-66. The Padres tried to trade Burroughs earlier this season, but ended up optioning him to Triple-A. Burroughs, the son the son of former AL MVP Jeff Burroughs, has shown a remarkable lack of power, hitting only 11 homers since he made his big league debut in 2002. Burroughs said Beavers hitting coach Jose Castro and roving minor league hitting instructor Rob Deer helped him work on his swing. ??It's the best I've felt in years,'' said the left-handed Burroughs, who worked on pulling the ball. ??It's a confidence thing. It carries over day in and day out. It was probably the hardest .295 I've hit. I probably only had three, four hits to left the whole time I was down there, which I'm excited about.'' Quantrill made 22 appearances, going 1-1 with a 3.41 ERA. He was acquired on July 2 from the New York Yankees, who had demoted him two days earlier, in exchange for struggling pitchers Darrell May and Tim Redding. Source: AP
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.