An obvious reason why we did not get Milledge

Sirspud

I like the fact that we get Jacobs in return for Delgado because Jacobs is a first basemen who will be able to easily fill Delgado's position in the lineup. Not only is Jacobs a first baseman, he has proven somewhat that he can handle major league pitching. Most people seem to overlook the fact that this guy hit 11 homers in a span where only two major league hitters slugged more. I believe that out of all the teams we are talking with, Jacobs was the best first base prospect available. Other teams, like the Cubs, have a wealth of outfield talent that we might be able to get in exchange for Pierre. If we get a Felix Pie out of a Pierre trade, we may end up with a potent lineup by the end of next season.

Wouldn't that be something if Jacobs continues to produce next year at a level close to Delgado's? Jacob's performance in Aug/Sep was better than Delgado's throughout 2005....so anything's possible.

Will it happen? Probably not.

But if could produce on the level of a Ryan Howard that would be just fantastic.

I think a Mets fan said it best that Jacobs will probably be Delgado in 3-4 years. I'm not expecting our lineup or him to be producing much at the beggining of the year, but once Hermida, Jacobs, Ramirez, and a potential prospect for Pierre start producing at a good level, we won't have a bad offense, although we will likely lack depth.