Winter Ball updates

The "real" FAN

Sergio Mitre pitched two scoreless innings yesterday in his debut for Hermosillo of the MPL.

He struck out two and walked one. Mitre almost surely will occupy a spot in the Florida rotation next season after being acquired from the Cubs in the Juan Pierre deal.

Renyel Pinto allowed three runs -- two earned -- and seven hits in 4 2/3 innings yesterday for Anzoategui of the VWL.

At least he seems to have found his command. In his first three appearances of the VWL season, he walked eight batters over the course of one inning.

Rotoworld

still a 3.86era for Pinto(in the game)

I realize the Winter Leagues isnt the Yankees and Red Sox but it could be a whole lot worse

He (Pinto) also could be working on certain pitches so one really can't draw conclusions from Winter League stuff. Same goes for Mitre or anyone playing there. It would be wise to wait until spring training before making up our minds about the value or ability of any particular player.

still a 3.86era for Pinto(in the game)

I realize the Winter Leagues isnt the Yankees and Red Sox but it could be a whole lot worse

He (Pinto) also could be working on certain pitches so one really can't draw conclusions from Winter League stuff. Same goes for Mitre or anyone playing there. It would be wise to wait until spring training before making up our minds about the value or ability of any particular player.

Do you think those guys really work on stuff there like they would/might in spring training? My impression is that it is pretty competitive as town pride takes precedence over the individuals needs-even if that individual is an established Major Leaguer, much less a hotshot minor leaguer. That's always been my impression why a lot of big league clubs are often less than thrilled when their established players play winter ball. I imagine the pitchers even worry their respective clubs more as again the goal of the Winter League team is to win- not develop an arm etc. In this sense they are even more intense than the minors....as minor league coaches are often/strictly dictated by organizational pitch counts, or to not to have the young guys throw "stressful" pitches.

I know specifically that a player like Miguel Cabrera feels overwhelming pressure to play in Venezuela every offseason (not that he doesn't want to but it would be a big, big deal if he didn't). So I think these numbers are as good a barometer as anything and the competition is intense. And I def. don't see these pitchers having the luxury of working on pitches- not that it's a bad idea just one i don't this is realistic.

Champ, if you notice I used the phrase "could be working", the operative word being "could". I happen to agree with you that there's alot of local pride involved in the WLs but the point of my post was that we just don't know.

Bowyer for example put up some lousy numbers in the AFL this fall but then we hear that he was told to not use (or depend heavily on) his fastball, rather to work on his other pitches.

A guy like Miggy doesn't have much to prove or work on in the WLs, he can go out there for the fun of it, and the pride of representing his country. Someone else who is trying to find his way into the MLs "may" be there for a different reason.

Champ, if you notice I used the phrase "could be working", the operative word being "could". I happen to agree with you that there's alot of local pride involved in the WLs but the point of my post was that we just don't know.

Bowyer for example put up some lousy numbers in the AFL this fall but then we hear that he was told to not use (or depend heavily on) his fastball, rather to work on his other pitches.

A guy like Miggy doesn't have much to prove or work on in the WLs, he can go out there for the fun of it, and the pride of representing his country. Someone else who is trying to find his way into the MLs "may" be there for a different reason.

I hear you! Good to hear that so many of our guys are doing pretty well.