February 5, 200620 yr I just realized this had never been posted from Saturday's Palm Beach Post... It's wide-open behind Marlins' plate By Joe Capozzi Palm Beach Post Staff Writer Saturday, February 04, 2006 JUPITER ? Josh Willingham was winding up the long drive Wednesday from his home in Alabama to the Marlins' spring training camp in Jupiter when his cellphone rang. Willingham hadn't even unpacked the catcher's gear from his truck when the caller, Marlins manager Joe Girardi, unloaded a heavy question. "He said, 'How do you feel about catching? How serious are you about it?' " Willingham recalled Friday. "I told him, 'I've been doing it for three years and I've built up to this opportunity.' He said, 'Good, because I want to work with you behind the plate. Somehow if it doesn't work out, we're still going to get your bat in the lineup and play you in left.' " Willingham finally met his new manager Friday, when Girardi stopped by the Marlins' clubhouse at Roger Dean Stadium for the first time since he was hired last fall to succeed Jack McKeon. Girardi said one of his first projects will be to work with Willingham, starting Feb. 13, a week before spring training. Also helping will be bench coach Gary Tuck, a former catching instructor with the New York Yankees. "We'll do a lot with our catchers,'' said Girardi, a catcher for 15 seasons until he retired after 2003. "Gary will do most of it because that's his specialty. To me he's the best technical guy when it comes to catchers that I've ever seen.'' The Marlins consider Willingham, a catcher for three pro seasons, a potential power hitter who needs defensive work. Willingham will compete with Miguel Olivo, who has the most big league experience, and Matt Treanor for the two catching spots, but Willingham might be Florida's starting left fielder. "I'm very open-minded about it,'' said Willingham, who hit.304 with four RBI in 23 at-bats last year. "I think I can catch in the big leagues. Am I going to be a Gold Glove winner? Probably not, but I believe I can catch in the big leagues'' Although Girardi will do extra work with Willingham, he said there is no front-runner to succeed All-Star catcher Paul Lo Duca, who was traded to the Mets. "Miguel Olivo has big-league experience. He's had some success. He's had some difficulties. He has a ton of tools, but I think it's wide open,'' Girardi said. "Josh is going to get at-bats somewhere in the lineup, but he has to earn a spot. Everyone has to earn a spot. The two guys who probably have a little grace is (third baseman Miguel) Cabrera on the positional side and Dontrelle (Willis).'' Welcome back: Girardi's visit wasn't his first at Roger Dean Stadium. "I played with the Cardinals my last year (2003),'' he said. His first baseball duties Friday: throwing batting practice to his son, Dante. "We came out here to meet some of the guys and play some ball,'' he said. http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/conte...rlins_0204.html
February 5, 200620 yr It should be wide open. Remember how weak the outfield currently looks right now. Hermida is set in RF, but LF and CF are wide open. If Aguila and Reed start in left and center.....the Marlins will have trouble scoring runs. If Willingham is below-average defensively at catcher he should play LF.
February 5, 200620 yr It should be exciting two young dewds competing for the spot. Hopefully it'll force both to perform at the top of their game.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.