Devil Rays acquire Brendan Harris from Reds

MrAndMrsFish

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. ? (AP) ? The Tampa Bay Devil Rays obtained infielder Brendan Harris from the Cincinnati Reds on Tuesday for a player to be named later or cash.

The 26-year-old Harris has 110 at-bats in 52 major league games over portions of the last three seasons with the Reds, Chicago Cubs and Montreal Expos/Washington Nationals. He batted .238 in 25 games last season while splitting time between the Washington and Cincinnati organizations.

Harris was part of the four-team deal that sent Nomar Garciaparra to the Cubs and Orlando Cabrera to the Boston Red Sox in 2004. He was acquired by Cincinnati last year in an eight-player deal with Washington.

So they have

Navarro

Wigginton

Cantu

Zobrist

Iwamura

Crawford

Rocco

Delmon

Gomes

Paul/Backup C

Norton

Harris

And one more spot for Upton and Dukes? While only carrying 1 shortstop? Right. Yea this minor deal is a precursory to the Rays OF auction. I'm sure we'll be involved. Whether it's Rocco, Upton, or Dukes.

I was just saying the other day as the we got closer to spring training and opening day multiple utlity infield options would be available and it appears the avalanche has started. Harris is one of three or four utility infielders with ML experience who were or became available in the last few days and this before spring training competition begins. I hope Boone is healthy enough and has enough left in the tank but I think before we start playing in April there will have been many healthier and more adept players available who wouldn't have cost $1 million.