DC Voting Poll

Flying_Mollusk

The house just passed a bill that would give DC and Utah a house rep(another one in Utah's case). I understand the Constitutional arguments made, but I don't understand what practical arguments can be made. Why shouldn't DC get a member in congress? Why shouldn't they even get two senators? Why shouldn't DC be a state?

DC is way more than just the location of the federal government. It's a densely populated region with a distinct environment. DC residents pay federal and DC taxes. They fight in wars.

I figured I would make this a poll and a place to make comments. For practical purposes, I will limit it to DC getting a member in congress.

Guest Juanky

It's blatantly unconstitutional, but I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of amending the Constitution in the case they don't become a state.

As to whether or not they should be a state, that's up to Congress to decide. I really don't care either way other than it's a nice place and I like it a lot. I do, however, like that no state gets to host the capitol. That was always kind of nice in an ideological kind of way in my book.

Don't know where they'd put the extra star though. It would look kind of weird.

Guest Juanky

I dont trust the politicians with amendments to the constitution in the current climate of pure political backstabbing and pretty much being owned by self-interest groups.

Um, when it has it been any different?

At least we don't have machines now.