Panthers Draft Analysis

Beinfest4Prez

Draft Analysis ROUND 1

Keaton Ellerby, D

Overall pick: 10. Ht.: 6-4. Wt.: 186.

Hometown: Strathmore, Alberta.

Team: Kamloops Blazers (WHL).

Career highlights: Had two goals, 23 assists and 120 penalty minutes in his first season for Kamloops. ... Is a cousin of Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan. ... Was selected to play in this summer's Canada-Russian Super Series.

Quote: "Our scouts looked at him in the vein of a (Jay) Bouwmeester, a good skater for a big man. He plays with an edge." - Panthers GM Jacques Martin

My Analysis:Keaton Ellerby fills a huge need in the organization: A Blue-Chip defensive prospect. He skates very well for a big man and plays with a nasty edge to his game. He's at least three years away from making an impact and the Panthers are in no hurry to rush him. Look for him to develop his offense more in at least one more year of junior hockey and then take it up to the AHL and develop for a year (hopefully, with Rochester).

ETA: The '10-'11 season.

ROUND 2

Michal Repik, RW

Overall pick: 40. Ht.: 5-10. Wt.: 180.

Hometown: Vlasim, Czech Republic.

Team: Vancouver Giants (WHL).

Career highlights: Scored game-winning goal in championship game of Memorial Cup tournament. ... Led WHL in playoff scoring with 10 goals and 26 points. ... Had 25 goals and 55 points in 56 regular-season games. ... Played with fellow Panther prospect Michael Frolik in his native Czech Republic.

Quote: "I thought he was (Vancouver's) MVP in the Memorial Cup. He's not a big player, but he's got good speed, goes to the net and has good hands." - Martin

My Analysis: Jacques Martin personally saw him play in the Memorial Cup this year while scouting Panthers first round draft pick from 2005, Kenndal Mccardle. This kid has some serious offensive talent. I like this pick a lot, this is a pure value pick. Don't be surprised if he is the quickest to the NHL from the draft. I see him getting to the club in a couple seasons giving the Panthers a Rangers-like Czech connection. Give him one or two seasons in Juniors and one season in the AHL and he'll be ready.

ETA: The '09-'10 season.

ROUND 3

Evgeni Dadonov, RW

Overall pick: 71. Ht.: 5-10. Wt.: 178.

Hometown: Chelyabinsk, Russia.

Team: Chelyabinsk (Russian League).

Career highlights: Won gold medal with Russia at the 2007 World Under-18 championships. ... Had one goal and one assist in 24 games last season. ... Moved up from No. 20 in mid-season rankings to No. 10 in final Central Scouting Service ranking among European skaters.

Quote: "A smaller guy, but very brave, he plays more of a North American style game. ... Could be like a (Pavel) Datsyuk. We call it a steal." - Panthers Scouting Director Scott Luce

My Analysis:Another value pick. Forward is not much of a need in the organization but getting the number 10th ranked European skater in the third round is a steal. Even in a weak draft. His offensive stats might be unimposing, but remember he is in the Russian League, known for its lack of offense. Hopefully, the Panthers can bring him over to the junior leagues and get him acclimated to the North American style of game, like they did with Michael Frolik. He is more of a project than Michal Repik. He will likely spend a couple seasons in the junior leagues and then at least one season in the AHL.

ETA: The '11-'12 season.

ROUND 4

Matt Rust, C

Overall pick: 101. Ht.: 5-9. Wt.: 192.

Hometown: Bloomfield Hills, Mich.

Team: U.S. Developmental Program.

Career highlights: Played five years in Detroit youth program before being brought into the U.S. Developmental Program. ... Played on the U.S. team that won a silver medal in the World Under-18 tournament. ... Plans to enroll at the University of Michigan in the fall.

Quote: "Very good skater - that's a theme in this draft - who is a strong two-way player. Outstanding on (faceoffs). He's a high character guys." - Luce

My Analysis: I like this pick. This is more depth for the Panthers system. In a strong draft for American skaters, this is the first American taken by the Panthers. He'll likely be in college for a couple years and then head to the AHL if everything pans out. Low-risk, high-reward here. Projects to be a third-liner at best. Best attribute about the kid, he's a high character guy. The common theme in the Jacques Martin era is high character players.

ETA: The '11-'12 season.

ROUND 5

John Lee, D

Overall pick: 131. Ht.: 6-1. Wt.: 173.

Hometown: Fargo, N.D.

Team: Waterloo (USHL).

Career highlights: Ranking by Central Scouting slipped from No. 53 at mid-season to No. 92 at season's end. ... Had six goals, 27 assists and 48 penalty minutes in 23 games for Waterloo the second half of last season after playing the first half at the high school level. ... Will return to Waterloo next season before attending Denver University next year.

Quote: "A big, mobile defenseman with a good first pass." - Luce

My Analysis:This is pure depth drafting. May turn out to be a Jaroslav Spacek type surprise in the draft for the Panthers. Big mobile defenseman are the flavor of the new NHL, and he's got both attributes.

ETA: The AHL, if that.

ROUND 6

Corey Syvret, D

Overall pick: 161. Ht.: 6-3. Wt.: 193.

Hometown: Millgrove, Ontario.

Team: Guelph Storm (OHL).

Career highlights: Split 2006-07 season between London and Guelph, totaling five goals and 11 assists in 61 games. ... Struggled to play in the shadow of his brother, Danny Syvret, who played 16 games for the Edmonton Oilers last season. ... Partnered at Guelph with Mike Caruso, Florida's second-round pick last year.

Quote: "Just starting to show his upside, and we're betting he has a great season next year. Good size, good containment skills, just has to work on fine-tuning all his general skills." - Luce

My Analysis:Very low-risk, high-reward here. Florida is familiar with this kid due to him being partnered with Mike Caruso, the Panthers' second-round pick in 2007. Needs to show more in the junior leagues to make himself a legitimate prospect.

ETA: The ECHL, maybe the AHL.

ROUND 7

Ryan Watson, LW

Overall pick: 191. Ht.: 6-1. Wt.: 175.

Hometown: Cambridge, Ontario.

Team: Cambridge (Ontario Junior B).

Career highlights: Won back-to-back Ontario Junior B championships. ... Has played as many as three different positions (center, left wing and defense) as well as power play and penalty kill in one game. ... Drafted by London of OHL but elected to play for his hometown team.

Quote: "We added grit and character with him." - Luce

My Analysis:Another gritty and high character guy. His versatility is in his favor. Definitely a sleeper prospect.

ETA: The AHL.

Sergei Gayduchenko, G

Overall pick: 202. Ht.: 6-5. Wt.: 222.

Hometown: Yaroslavl, Russia.

Team: Yaroslavl 2 (Russian League).

Career highlights: No statistics available.

Quote: "We feel we have a diamond in the rough there." - Luce

My Analysis:Goaltending depth for the system. In a weak draft for goal tenders, this is only a depth drafting with the smallest possibility of becoming a legitimate prospect. Very low-risk pick.

ETA: The ECHL if he ever makes it across from Russia.

Draft Capsules from the Palm Beach Post, Brian Biggane.

My draft analysis for the Panthers. Thoughts?