Uggla? All Star Consideration?

Bucklin12

Seriously, I don't know why so many people thought he deserved All Star recognition this year... even if he plays at a weak position in the NL. He was a Rule V dude who found some power and had a fantastic half a season last year.

And I am not at all a Miguel Olivo fan, but with all the whining we submit about Olivo his BA is now better than Uggla's.

C'mon Coghlan, hurry up and get through Greensboro!

And I am not at all a Miguel Olivo fan, but with all the whining we submit about Olivo his BA is now better than Uggla's.

If anyone's wondering why I absolutely despise batting average as a way of telling how good a player is, here's a prime example.

Dan Uggla is still well above league average in OPS and he's well, well above league average for a 2B. I believe he leads the league or is 2nd in extra base hits. He's a really good baseball player. Miguel Olivo is not very good. If you are really stupid enough to believe Olivo is better than Uggla then I can post a much more detailed analysis of just why one is quite good and the other is quite bad. I hope you don't need it though.

If anyone's wondering why I absolutely despise batting average as a way of telling how good a player is, here's a prime example.

Dan Uggla is still well above league average in OPS and he's well, well above league average for a 2B. I believe he leads the league or is 2nd in extra base hits. He's a really good baseball player. Miguel Olivo is not very good. If you are really stupid enough to believe Olivo is better than Uggla then I can post a much more detailed analysis of just why one is quite good and the other is quite bad. I hope you don't need it though.

In no way, do I consider Miguel Olivo a better ball player than Dan Uggla. I never said that. I understand the BA stat has flaws (just like nearly every other stat in baseball... especially OPS). The kid can slug there is no doubt about it, he is full of doubles and is good for 25 homers, so yes he has a decent OPS. He also is second in baseball in SO's... and that is why OPS is flawed and can be just as misleading as BA.

Dan Uggla is a poor man's Adam Dunn at best, who is disguised by the infield.

He won't be starting by the end of '09 at the latest... there's no way.

In no way, do I consider Miguel Olivo a better ball player than Dan Uggla. I never said that. I understand the BA stat has flaws (just like nearly every other stat in baseball... especially OPS). The kid can slug there is no doubt about it, he is full of doubles and is good for 25 homers, so yes he has a decent OPS. He also is second in baseball in SO's... and that is why OPS is flawed and can be just as misleading as BA.

Dan Uggla is a poor man's Adam Dunn at best, who is disguised by the infield.

He won't be starting by the end of '09 at the latest... there's no way.

Ok, I'll bite... Why not?

And I love Chris Coghlan too, but he is in Greensboro. We need to remember that. And also, Uggla is a pretty damn good bat at 2b, if he is still swinging like this in 2009, it might be Coghlan who is looking for a different position.

28 year old 2nd basemen who can slug .500 and have a .324 OBP are going to have no problem finding jobs. He may not start here depending on the salary he demands and what Coghlan does, but he'll have a job, I can garauntee that. Also, striking out a lot isn't that big of a negative, it really isn't. I've said it a thousand times, but in the great majority of cases, it is the same thing as any other type of out.

He is much more than a poor man's Adam Dunn if only for the fact that he is an average fielder at a premium defensive position who can also slug it out with the best at that position. He's a top 5 2B in all of baseball, all things considered.

Utley, Johnson, and Hudson are all having better seasons than Uggla is. Arguably, De Rosa is even tier, but that all depends on how much you praise Uggla for his extra power.

How is Hudson having a better season than Uggla? Because he has a better average?

higher ops too

Uggla is not a young guy for being a sophmore in the MLB. By the time 2009 comes, he'll be 29. I know that's not ancient... but it's not young either. And I know some guys find their stroke when they reach that age, but that is a very small percentage and the larger number of professional ball players tend to fade, and are done by 35.

He has been declining since last August, in a slow creeping fashion, and I have no reason to believe that decline will turn itself around.

I feel confident in saying that by this time next year, we will all feel like there is a major hole at 2nd base that needs to be filled, and by '09 we might have a guy who is close to being ready for that spot.

And I know there are always exceptions to the rule (please don't start throwing out Carlos Delgado or Johan Santana references about the draft and how it doesn't determine success), but Dan Uggla was an 11th round pick, who spent 6 years as a minor leaguer... 4 of which were in A ball. We found his production in the Rule 5, and it turned out to be a fantastic pick up for last year as he exceeded everyone's expectations. But the honeymoon will soon be over, and he will turn into the player everyone thought he would be.

Uggla is not a young guy for being a sophmore in the MLB. By the time 2009 comes, he'll be 29. I know that's not ancient... but it's not young either. And I know some guys find their stroke when they reach that age, but that is a very small percentage and the larger number of professional ball players tend to fade, and are done by 35.

He has been declining since last August, in a slow creeping fashion, and I have no reason to believe that decline will turn itself around.

I feel confident in saying that by this time next year, we will all feel like there is a major hole at 2nd base that needs to be filled, and by '09 we might have a guy who is close to being ready for that spot.

And I know there are always exceptions to the rule (please don't start throwing out Carlos Delgado or Johan Santana references about the draft and how it doesn't determine success), but Dan Uggla was an 11th round pick, who spent 6 years as a minor leaguer... 4 of which were in A ball. We found his production in the Rule 5, and it turned out to be a fantastic pick up for last year as he exceeded everyone's expectations. But the honeymoon will soon be over, and he will turn into the player everyone thought he would be.

Then how do you explain the fact that he like leads the NL in XBH and has a .500+ Slugging percentage and is also walking 8.5 percent of the time (up from 5% last year). That's him regressing? He's been better than he was last year. I hate to burst your bubble, but he's actually improved overall.

Seriously, I don't know why so many people thought he deserved All Star recognition this year... even if he plays at a weak position in the NL. He was a Rule V dude who found some power and had a fantastic half a season last year.

C'mon Coghlan, hurry up and get through Greensboro!

check his stats

Post ASG 2006

Pre ASG 2007

and you will discover what kind of player Uggla is............

28 year old 2nd basemen who can slug .500 and have a .324 OBP are going to have no problem finding jobs. He may not start here depending on the salary he demands and what Coghlan does, but he'll have a job, I can garauntee that. Also, striking out a lot isn't that big of a negative, it really isn't. I've said it a thousand times, but in the great majority of cases, it is the same thing as any other type of out.

He is much more than a poor man's Adam Dunn if only for the fact that he is an average fielder at a premium defensive position who can also slug it out with the best at that position. He's a top 5 2B in all of baseball, all things considered.

I wouldn't consider him Top 5 at all.

Then how do you explain the fact that he like leads the NL in XBH and has a .500+ Slugging percentage and is also walking 8.5 percent of the time (up from 5% last year). That's him regressing? He's been better than he was last year. I hate to burst your bubble, but he's actually improved overall.

lol

check his spilts for the first 3 months ot 2006

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7692/s...mp;type=Batting

and now check 2007.......

29 would be considered his prime

Last August, the highest his numbers were at any time were .296/.354/.507

right now, he is struggling at .253/.324/.509

his walk rate is a little better than last year, and his slugging percentage has maintained

he is one solid weak from getting that average up to .275

again, I like Coghlan as much as the next guy, but he is in Greensboro... it's like Coors Field of old up there

I wouldn't consider him Top 5 at all.

Well, he's definitetly a top 5 offensive 2nd baseman given his 2 years of production, and he played average defense, so he's definitely in the top third, and I'd say even higher than that. All things considered he's a better player than Luis right now.

lol

check his spilts for the first 3 months ot 2006

and now check 2007.......

.875 OPS

.833 OPS

Not a huge regression, and certainly not one that warrants any armageddon predictions. And look at his overall numbers and he's actually improved.

29 would be considered his prime

Last August, the highest his numbers were at any time were .296/.354/.507

right now, he is struggling at .253/.324/.509

his walk rate is a little better than last year, and his slugging percentage has maintained

he is one solid weak from getting that average up to .275

again, I like Coghlan as much as the next guy, but he is in Greensboro... it's like Coors Field of old up there

Works two ways... he's another wretched weak away from .235

I guess I missed the memo where .300/30/100 was required for a starting job.

I've said it 8 million times, Uggla is just miscast in the order (as is Hermida) the sooner the two flip flop, the better.

Most definitely. It is hurting the offense almost to a severe degree that he is hitting second in the lineup.

Now that I'd agree with. Uggla should not be hitting second in this lineup at all.

Hudson is having a monster year. The only statistic where Uggla really beats him is power. Hudson walks more, hits more, strikes out less, drives in nearly as many runs. To say that Hudson is not deserving of being on the All Star team over Uggla is a tad bit ludicrious, in my opinion.

Any non-biased person who knows baseball will probably tell you the same thing.

Uggla should still be there over Sanchez so the argument is pointless.