November 9, 200322 yr Hello, I am doing a project on the Marlins and I just wanted to know a few things... I know that in order to be an arbitration year, a player has to be on the 40 man roster for 1 season.. ques. is, is Banks in his 4th or 5th arbitration season? I know that the first 3 years a player can be up and down from minors to majors as much as possible, so he probably wasnt on the 40 man his first 3 years... I'm confused though. I know he wasn't on it in 2000-01 because nobody wanted him then. I think it's his 4th arbitration year.. does anybody know? also, castro is in his 4th season arbitration eligible right? encarnacion is 4th season arbitration eligible too ? do the first 3 years count as arbitration years? its 3 +5 ? rossinfoman, you know this stuff right?
November 9, 200322 yr Free Agency rules are up there with calculus and the BCS in ease of understanding (Free Agency for all sports, but baseball gets into it a bit more than most). I believe it is after your third year that you become arbitration eligible. I don't think Brian Banks is eligible. I know Encarnacion is eligible, and I believe Ramon is not. Don't quote me here because a bunch of these rules contradict themselves and there are enough loopholes to make swiss cheese.
November 9, 200322 yr Author I know about 3rd year arbitration eligible.. banks might be in his third.. but I'm not sure. I fount out that you have to be on the 40 man roster in opening day for it to count as an arbitration year. Thats why they didnt put willis on it and waited till may so that it wouldnt count as an arbitration year.. banks was on this opening day but not last opening day with the marlins and never with milwakee i believe. that means hes still arbitration eligible. also, last year was redmans first arbitration year or second? he made 300 K in 2002, but that was when league minimum was 200 K. I think its his 3rd arbitration year? anybody know?
November 9, 200322 yr I believe Banks was signed to a minor league contract....does that make a difference as to whether he's arbitration eligible or not?
November 9, 200322 yr It looks like it's service days. From the CBA: Eligibility: Any Player with a total of three or more years of Major League service, however accumulated, but with less than six years of Major League. With the following addendum: In addition, a Player with at least two but less than three years of Major League service shall be eligible for salary arbitration if: (a) he has accumulated at least 86 days of service during the immediately preceding season; and (b) he ranks in the top seventeen percent (17%) (rounded to the nearest whole number) in total service in the class of Players who have at least two but less than three years of Major League service, however accumulated, but with at least 86 days of service accumulated during the immediately preceding season. If two or more Players are tied in ranking, ties shall be broken consecutively based on the number of days of service accumulated in each of the immediately preceding seasons. If the Players remain tied, the final tie breaker will be by lot. Good luck trying to figure out who's eligible from that. You should see the part on minimum offers the club has to make in arbitration.
November 9, 200322 yr Author thanks 83gator, it helped alot. I got everybody right so far now with the arbitration eligibility, except for one, and it's V. Nunez. I know he doesn't matter much, but he was in his 4th year of arbitration, but since he wasn't on the Marlins roster for enough service days in 2003 (was he on the 40 man? He's not on it now) does that mean he is still in his 4th year, or does the 20 or so days he was on our 40 man still count as the service days it takes for an arbitration year?
November 10, 200322 yr Author well looks like i found my answer to why castro wasnt used... he was going to be a super 2 arbitration eligible guy this season no matter what because he was on the roster for more than 86 days. If they would have used him more, his price could have been jacked up to about a million or so just like Mike Redmond's price was jacked up because of his usage.
November 10, 200322 yr Here's a link to a page with downloads of several MLB documents, including the CBA. It's pretty big if you have a dial-up but not bad with DSL. It's a PDF and I had a hard time opening it directly for some reason so I just downloaded it to my PC and opened it that way. http://roadsidephotos.com/baseball/data.htm
November 10, 200322 yr Author Wow, thats awesome. I've been looking for stuff all day and haven't found something that good. How do you do it?
November 10, 200322 yr Wow, thats awesome. I've been looking for stuff all day and haven't found something that good. How do you do it? MarlinAddict posted it on the mlb board last week so I bookmarked it.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.