October 4, 200916 yr The Tampa Bay Rays had a runner on 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs and Mark Teixeira (Tied for league lead in HR with Tampa's Pena) and instead of potentially giving up the HR to give Teixeira the lead, they intentionally walk him to get to A-Rod who had a 3-Run HR earlier in the inning, and what happened on the next pitch? A-Rod hit a Grand Slam on the next pitch. So the Rays I believe made a move to protect Carlos Pena and keep him tied with Teixeira. I don't think it shows any sportsmanship toward the player who should've had the HR lead barring the Slump he was in in April. Also, They threw at Teixeira on Friday so I guess they really care about being tied for HR.
October 4, 200916 yr IF anything I think it is good sportsmanship. It makes the game fun. It's the little thing (records) that makes baseball so unique.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.