Ten things that upset me...

rferry

10. If the Big East has five bowl teams this year, and loses two (possibly three) participants does UConn have a shot at the national title in football?!

9. Where are the bowl games being played north of the Mason-Dixon line? I'd settle for something north of the 36th parallel. If Boise State can pass in that haven of cold and wind they call the Blue Tundra then I don't see why Washington, DC can't host a bowl game. I'm sure {{players}} would rather fear the cold and visit the Vietnam Memorial than be bored out of the minds in Shreveport or El Paso. It's not like the Redskins are going to be playing in January anytime soon.

8. Lack of respect for Michigan. They have one more loss than #1, #2 and #3 and are just as good. Don't write your USC sympathy votes in just yet.

7. Scheduling. What jerk decided to schedule The Music City (Nashville) Bowl and the Liberty {Financial Services? Might as well be} (Memphis) Bowl on the same day. That must be hell on Tennessee tourist industry. The hotels, the winter staff at Graceland and Dollyworld, the umm.. did I mention that one is in Memphis and the other Nashville?

6. Obsession with being number one. It's a sad statement about college athletics when winning the national championship is more important than winning your conference. Is this just a game for the sports writers' amusement? Is it a stop over for athletes to get a few more years of training before coming pro? Congratulations to Colgate making it so far in the Division I-AA playoffs with not one single player on scholarship. Congrats to Texas Christian University for putting academics before athletics. Even if it was just an attempt to get out of havng to have face stiff competition, or inaugurate the Fort Worth Bowl. Haven't quite figured that out.

5. A playoff system. You may not know from this list but I love the bowl system! I like the idea of a team and its fans travelling to some town, visiting hospitals and the beaches before playing a game that is more a matter of conference bragging rights than who ultimately is number one. Don't get me wrong. I'm just as peaved as everyone that #2 and #3 are playing a game that should go to #1 and #2. As a Nittany Lion and JoePa fan I'm steamed that Nebraska won a full share of the national title in 1994. I just harbor deep resentment for Nebraska, Indiana, the AP, the coaches and all their fans for the rest of my life. I don't look for quick fixes. Or get-rich quick acts of collusion to reward the big conferences for their gluttony. Oops! Did I just say that aloud?

4. ABC's monopoly. Of the twenty-eight bowl games only three will be shown on some network not owned by Disney. And I wouldn't doubt ABC affiliates in Oklahoma and Mississippi have put in bids to broadcast where FOX has yet to find a local affiliate. I mean who is it over at ESPN Sports whose quest it is to lock up every bowl game? Are they trying to create a pay-per-view channel? One time they had two bowls overlaping eachother forcing people to tune into ESPN2. I didn't even know I had ESPN2, I thought it was the motor sports channel!

3. Rematches. Maryland-West Virginia, Miami-Florida State. I'm sure they sound fun. Can Miami and West Virginia, and by extension the Big East get revenge? These are two good games. One featuring the two hottest teams to close out their regular seasons, and the other a fierce rivalry. But we don't need this. We saw this already (and will see it early next season). It's boring. I'd only be watching as a fan of ACC football and the Fridge's Terps.

2. Kansas, UCLA and Georgia Tech. I don't care what conference you belong and how much they offered to the bowl committees the postseason is for winning teams! Can we have some at-large berths back please? I promise to watch a bowl game with Northern Illinois and buy one product I see featured in a commercial.

1. Too few bowl games... on New Year's Day. How sad is it that there are as many January 1st bowl games as there are being played on December 31st or after January 1st? Does anyone remember struggling to recover from the night before to watch the Outback Bowl at 11am, then commence flipping the channels between two or three games until the 11 o'clock news?

9. Where are the bowl games being played north of the Mason-Dixon line? I'd settle for something north of the 36th parallel. If Boise State can pass in that haven of cold and wind they call the Blue Tundra then I don't see why Washington, DC can't host a bowl game. I'm sure {{players}} would rather fear the cold and visit the Vietnam Memorial than be bored out of the minds in Shreveport or El Paso. It's not like the Redskins are going to be playing in January anytime soon.

Aww, South gettin too much lovin? Hehe. Just as Yankees come down to the South for the winter, so does college football. Everyone would rather play in New Orleans (yes, its a dome, but only 3 hrs are inside, the rest is on Bourbon Street, etc.), Mobile, Orlando, Nashville, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Atlanta, Charlotte, etc.

Same reason you don't see New York hostin the Super Bowl.

7. Scheduling. What jerk decided to schedule The Music City (Nashville) Bowl and the Liberty {Financial Services? Might as well be} (Memphis) Bowl on the same day. That must be hell on Tennessee tourist industry. The hotels, the winter staff at Graceland and Dollyworld, the umm.. did I mention that one is in Memphis and the other Nashville?

Dollywood is pretty far from Nashville, and definitely far from Memphis. And Tennessee needs all the tourism they can get right now....a couple years ago, the state was bankrupt. Oh yah, and I dont think 2 crappy bowls (during the holidays)are gonna be hell on the Tennessee tourist industry. I bet they hardly see a difference.

except for the above 2 i mentioned, and the one about the playoff system (I love the idea of playoffs...16 teams especially...just like d-1aa, d-II, d-III, NAIA, and every other college sport, and every professional sport, and every high school sport, and most little league sports), I agree. ABC does have a monopoly on it. And why is the Peach Bowl not played on New Years Day. Same with the Orange Bowl, etc. Lets get the games on New Years Day like it used to be......that is, until the playoffs come around.

bowl games are more of a vacation time for the fans, because its played during the holidays. People don't wanna take a vacation to Grand Rapids, Michigan, or Toledo, Ohio, or Buffalo, NY (although, yes DC and/or NY could work).

Most people, much like geese, like to come South for the winter (I love bein a Southerner, but man it gets annoying stuck behind Penn., NY, Michigan, etc. minivans that dont know where the hell they are goin, and talk funny).

oh yes. I guess I did miss the joke, lol. Although Memphis and Nashville do make a good bit of money of tourism. Not exactly Graceland (man that looks cheesy), but I think Memphis and Nashville are the 2 coolest big cities I've been in. Well, and New Orleans (not because of the drinking and such either).

Guest Juanky

Just some notes, I guess I'll go one by one:

10- That would be pretty cool wouldn't it?

9- I really don't care for locations, as long as it is a good game. Besides, most of the good college teams are in the South. Think it is a coincidence that the bowl games are played there?

8- Michigan is my second favorite team after UM, because of Belen using their unis and all. I was beyond thrilled when they kicked the crap out of OSU, and I think personally if there was a playoff this year (as suggested by a Nike add in the last SI or the last ESPN the Mag, don't remember which one) they would probably beat USC and beat LSU (I think OU will fall).

7- There problem :lol . But I don't think Tennessee will feel it much.

6- Winning your conference should be a step off before the national title, and of course with 117 teams (119 next year) you are going to have to have alot of teams that will set their sites on other things as great seasons besides winning the national title, because alot of them just simply can't. But shouldn't that in the end be your number 1 goal, to be the best of the best? And what better way of showing that off than a 16 team playoff? You can keep the current bowls, of course. The National Title game will rotate, like it does now. 2 Of the other majors take the Final Four, the other two majors (I consider the Cotton Bowl a major bowl along with the four BCS Bowls) get half of the Elite 8 while the minor bowls can compete for the other two and the 8 first round games. For teams outside the 16 in the playoff, the minor bowls remain. Everyone wins. The minor bowls would get to "move up" to a playoff game depending on something (Maybe who had the most attendance the year before, or who had the best game, or I don't know. That can be resolved later).

5- Pretty much covered all of that in #6.

4- Glad I'm not the only one that noticed. But I think they are better off all on ESPN than all on FOX.

3- I nearly destroyed something when I heard UM was going to play FSU instead of OSU. I mean, it is great because Chris Rix gets to throw to his favorite target again, but I want OSU dammit! I want to beat them fair and square with Terry Porter not present unless he is wearing his OSU jersey with his honorary doctorate in sucky refereeing from The Ohio State.

2- I personally was rooting for Navy yesterday. Though I like Texas Tech and I enjoyed their grenade celebration (we do it all the time), I can't help but root for the teams that never get to where they are playing this year. Except if they play Miami, but I don't have to worry about that this year :cool

1- I am angry that they are allowing any minor bowls after New Years. I used to love waking up, and watching college football the whole entire day. It was the greatest thing ever after the baseball playoffs. But oh well, maybe I'll have to take some breaks this year. But if it is true that there are minor bowls taking place after the first major bowl (which I think shouldn't happen AT ALL) then they messed up in something else.

besides the Outback Bowl (GO GATORS), the only other bowl I really care about is the Peach Bowl (Tenn vs. Clemson will be a great game...C-L-E-M-S-Ooooooo-N! *cue TigerRag* Solid Orange baby!)

I too was rootin for Navy (although I predicted on here that TT would win). Paul Johnson is a great coach, and I'm ecstatic that he is having a good season. He was the coach at Georgia Southern 2 years ago, and as much as I hate Southern, ya gotta root for SoCon. Oh yah, and my mom's friend's son plays WR for Navy. He played for Rockledge High School.

I refuse to consider a team that got their asses handed to them by Oregon and Iowa a national championship contender.

Maybe if the whole tournament was played in Michigan Stadium.

And yes, they whipped my Buckeyes, but we're overrated anyway.

Guest marlins02

think of it like this :thumbup :

Army-Notre Dame, its fine to root against Amry

Army-Iraqui Army, not fine to root against Army

(obviously im playing around, im not mocking you)

I don't know, I just can't root against the Service Academies without damn good reason and be able to sleep at night.

That's why it sucks to be a Maryland Terps football fan.

Their rivals:

1. Penn State. They stopped facing eachother in football in the mid 90s. Based on the scores it was more of recrutment rivalry. In almost all sports PSU and MD compete for the best talent in the state of Maryland and central Pennsylvania. But how can you root against JoePa? The man is a legend. He built that program from absolutly nothing to be amongst the best in the country on the field and in the class room.

2. Navy. Another dormant rivalry that may come back. It's the freaking Naval Academy. These are men and women that will risk their lives for your freedom. Respectpah!

3. Virginia. It's easy to hate on Virginia when the state government is pumping toxic waste into your shared water supply. It's easy when they refuse to fund joint transit projects to relieve traffic congestion on the roads and rails. It's very easy to hate the state legislature, but the University is another thing. Still VUCK FIRGINIA. :angry

Also..

6- Everyone wins.

5- Pretty much covered all of that in #6.

I don't win! And isn't that what matters most? :p Everyone who cares about conference bragging rights doesn't win. Why should I, or anyone care if #1 seed from the PAC-10 is facing the #16 seed from the Sun Belt. At what cost? Helping the AP Writers, and forcing the coaches decide the trivial matter of which team of the 117-119 teams are the best after a 11-game season and tournament? The cities that host the bowl games don't win. No longer is the bowl game an event that teams care about. It's just a visit to some town for a couple days on your way to the title game. It's amusing to me every time someone tells me a playoff can happen within the bowl games. It simply can't. Unless we're talking about a 4-team playoff with the semi-finals being played as low-lowel bowls in December. But still what's the point? The NCAA doesn't award a trophy. The AP and Coaches polls do. If they want help deciding #1 then let them sponsor a bowl game.