Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Three Boca Bobcats Sign

Featured Replies

Boca?s Schmidt signs with K-State

 

 

Published Thursday, February 5, 2004

by Aaron Shea

 

 

After having seven football players recruited by Division I-A colleges a year ago, the cupboard was supposed to be bare this season at Boca Raton High School.

Although the Bobcats were unable to match the success of last year?s National Signing Day, they still managed to have three kids commit to schools Wednesday, two to Division I-A programs.

 

The major signing of the day at the school was 17-year-old offensive lineman Ryan Schmidt, who committed to Big 12 champion Kansas State. The 6-foot-5, 305-pound left tackle had initially verbally committed to the University of North Carolina, but changed his mind after visiting Manhattan, Kansas.

 

?I just thought Kansas State was a better fit,? said Schmidt, who prior to this season weighed just 245 pounds. ?I liked the people out there. I definitely did not think [at the beginning of the season]I would be going to Kansas State.?

Schmidt said Boca Raton coaches got his name out there by sending highlight tapes. He said what most impressed Kansas State was his athleticism and speed. Schmidt has been clocked at 4.85 in the 40-yard dash.

 

Schmidt intends to red-shirt his freshman season and hit the weight room to gain more muscle. He added he has no concerns about the transition to a powerhouse school and conference, which features such schools as Nebraska and Oklahoma.

?I?m not really nervous at all,? he said. ?I?m excited to play against the best teams in the nation.?

 

Just like Schmidt thought he wouldn?t be going to Kansas State, wide receiver Ryan Maher never thought he would be going to Division I-AA Lafayette, but after his first choices fell through, the lanky 6-foot, 165-pound wide out settled on the school in Pennsylvania.

 

?They offered a great education and they said I have a chance to play this year,? Maher said. ?That?s going to be a challenge, but I?m ready for it.?

The third player to commit Wednesday was Palm Beach County Kicker of the Year Tony Ciaravino, who will be heading to the University of Connecticut, which will be in the Big East next season.

 

There are still several seniors that have yet to lock up scholarships, according to Boca Raton head coach Rick Swain. Running back Mike Fields, fullback Daniel Studdard and cornerback Marcus St. Phard have all visited Western Kentucky, Swain said.

 

Swain also said running back Justin Morales has visited Jacksonville University and will visit Methodist and linebacker Joey Rumph has drawn interest from Holy Cross and Florida A&M. Quarterback Matt Brooks plans to visit Arizona.

?I don?t think people believed there was any talent left at Boca High,? Swain said. ?These kids have worked hard to get in this position.?

 

I did a last-minute article on this for our school paper today. I was suprised that Fields, Studdard, St. Phard and Rumph hadn't committed anywhere, all three made all-county. I talked to Fields and Rumph about where they REALLY intend on signing.

 

When I asked Fields if he was going to West Kentucky, he responded, "Hell no," and told me he wants to end up at North Carolina state. Rumph said he intended on going to either Jacksonville or Florida A&M. It was no suprise to me that Morales and Brooks haven't signed anywhere. Morales is about 5'7", but fast and strong as hell. Brooks is a horrible quarterback, and if he plays football anywhere it will be as a walk-on.

 

Ciaravino made first-team all-state, so it was no suprise he was going to end up at a big school, but it was also no suprise he wanted to go somewhere to play right away. Schmit is the big signee, though. He was second-team all-state, and that was with NO exposure all season long. Maher was nothing special, but makes the most out of his talent. And choosing Lafayette shows that he is definately in it for the education.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.