Went To the Game Tonight..Montreal 3 @ Florida 2

My first game of the year had to unfortunately be a loss. But boy did I have a blast! I sat in RF 19 rows back. I was with my girlfriend, her mother and brother. All of us are die hard Marlin Fans, especially her Mom. Never seen a Mom get into Baseball so much. It was really cool to see. She is treating me to tommorow's game too! Awesome! :thumbup

Now onto the game. Solid game for the most part, we left too many runners on base, and I am not confident in the Bullpen.

-Castro was close on one, was WAY off on the others

-JP and Castillo are not playing as aggressive (offensively) as they were last time we saw them

-Choi Defensively is as good as Lee. Made some REALLY nice grabs. My girlfriend's Mother was saying "Wow, and I thought I was going to miss Lee". Offensively I do not know If he is capable of hitting 30 HRs, but he has talent for sure.

-Choi's song is cool, I think. Not femine :p

-Gonzalez had good contact on the ball, outfielders just made some nice grabs

-Lowell, looks to once again be our best hitter, although his double came on an Error.

-Conine looks solid. Almost hit a HR shy by a few feet.

-Penny did really well. Still wish he hadn't give up that last home run. I thought he could have done better with the placement.

-Bullpen for me is still a question mark. Phelps came in and gave up two hits and was pulled out. Yes we did not give up a run but we were close.

That is all for now...I'll do another tommorow. Go Marlins! HOORAH!!!

-PT

Did you happen to notice if Penny had constant surviellance on the radar gun display in the OF?

This has been talked about alot over the last year or so and it was mentioned on the radio several times by callers after the game again tonite.

Didn't get to see the game (much less get to go) and was wondering.

Did you happen to notice if Penny had constant surviellance on the radar gun display in the OF?

This has been talked about alot over the last year or so and it was mentioned on the radio several times by callers after the game again tonite.

Yes

His Fastball was anywhere from 93 to 97. Typical Penny speed

Guest Juanky

Posted this somewhere else, but since this is notes on the game I guess I'll just put it here:

- Penny pitched very well, yes he gave up the two jacks but he was pitching most of the night with no one on base

- Choi played very well defensively, two stretches that ended innings, one stretch and one pick to bail Mikey out, and a couple nice plays going to get grounders.

- Also on Choi, he is becoming the only guy I want up with men on right now

- Cabrera SMOKED the ball

- Gonzalez is seeing the ball well, just hitting it at people. He's going to catch fire soon

- Castro absolutely murdered another pitch today, but it went foul. He needs to get his timing right

- Phelps and Bump did a nice job out of the pen tonight, Phelps especially. He got Expos to swing at bad pitches early in counts

- The order in general is swinging early in the count. Even my boy Juanpy has decided to start swinging early, that is very unlike him. Choi is the only one right now taking it to 2-2 and 3-2 counts consistently, and we are seeing the results with him. I hope it is just jitters and they calm down soon.

- Stop pinch hitting Cordero. Please. Lenny should have been out there in the ninth yesterday.

And yes, Penny kept watching the gun. That was probably the reason he gave up the Everett shot, it was on a fastball. He threw all of two curveballs the first inning, no changeups. He'll have to go more offspeed in the future. He was hitting 97 for quite a while, then dropped it to 94-96 for the later stages of his time in the game.

Guest Juanky

Yeah, it's only two games. He's becoming is the key word, but no one else in the lineup is coming through with men on. Mike Redmond did, he isn't starting. Choi has 4 RBIs, and Cabrera's shot was a solo homer.

Also on Choi, he is becoming the only guy I want up with men on right now

dude, its been two games ... relax ... yeah the dude is hitting the ball well and im loving it, but you cant say hes the only one you want up there with men on. You are right, only two games. But Choi is showing that he can be patient at the plate and make contact. From 6 runs on the 1st two games, 4 are from Choi.

Posted this somewhere else, but since this is notes on the game I guess I'll just put it here:

- Penny pitched very well, yes he gave up the two jacks but he was pitching most of the night with no one on base

- Choi played very well defensively, two stretches that ended innings, one stretch and one pick to bail Mikey out, and a couple nice plays going to get grounders.

- Also on Choi, he is becoming the only guy I want up with men on right now

- Cabrera SMOKED the ball

- Gonzalez is seeing the ball well, just hitting it at people. He's going to catch fire soon

- Castro absolutely murdered another pitch today, but it went foul. He needs to get his timing right

- Phelps and Bump did a nice job out of the pen tonight, Phelps especially. He got Expos to swing at bad pitches early in counts

- The order in general is swinging early in the count. Even my boy Juanpy has decided to start swinging early, that is very unlike him. Choi is the only one right now taking it to 2-2 and 3-2 counts consistently, and we are seeing the results with him. I hope it is just jitters and they calm down soon.

- Stop pinch hitting Cordero. Please. Lenny should have been out there in the ninth yesterday.

And yes, Penny kept watching the gun. That was probably the reason he gave up the Everett shot, it was on a fastball. He threw all of two curveballs the first inning, no changeups. He'll have to go more offspeed in the future. He was hitting 97 for quite a while, then dropped it to 94-96 for the later stages of his time in the game.

If remember correctly the homerun that penny gave up to everett was a curveball that's what boog said on the radio.

Yes

His Fastball was anywhere from 93 to 97. Typical Penny speed

didn't they shut off the gun at home games for Penny's starts at the end of last season? why did they bring it back this year?

No, it was most definately a fastball. He didn't throw his first curve of the inning until after that at bat.

I heard a quote from Penny (after the game) on QAM this morning, he said it was a hanging curve ball that stayed up in the zone to Everett.

Guest Juanky

It isn't like he didn't pitch well, just made two mistakes and they capitalized. If he keeps pitching well with the gun on leave it on. It was on during the Show anyways.