UConn's Gordon to leave champs for NBA

Admin

ESPN.com

STORRS, Conn. -- Connecticut guard Ben Gordon scheduled a news conference for Wednesday to announce his intentions to forgo his senior year and make himself eligible for the NBA draft.

"It's time," Gordon, who played at Mount Vernon High School in New York, told The Journal News. "I had a great experience at UConn, but I'm ready for what's next. I knew this is what I wanted from the beginning of the season, so why wait?"

Sources also told ESPN.com's Andy Katz that the junior will announce that he is turning pro.

Gordon, a potential lottery pick, will make the announcement at 3 p.m. ET in Storrs, university spokesman Kyle Muncy said.

UConn coach Jim Calhoun has said Gordon is ready for the NBA. Assistant coach Clyde Vaughan told Katz that the staff expects Gordon and Emeka Okafor to both leave. Both played integral roles in the Huskies' drive to the NCAA championship.

"I think I've answered all the questions," Gordon told The Journal News. "Now I want to go to the next level and see what I can do there. I know it's going to be a challenge but I've prepared myself. I talked it over with Coach, and we're all on the same page."

To be eligible for the June 24 draft, an underclassman must send a letter to the NBA by May 10.

A player with eligibility remaining who has not signed with an agent must withdraw from draft consideration by June 17 to return to his college team.

Gordon led UConn in scoring this season, averaging 18.5 points in 39 games. In the NCAA Tournament, he averaged 21.2 points in six games.

Okafor, a junior center, will graduate early this May. He is expected to enter the draft.