Marlins love athletes

Teal Shadow

A year after snatching five-tool talent Jai Miller out of an Alabama high school, the Marlins think they may have found the same type of athlete in fourth-rounder Jamar Walton. The Emporia, Va., product was all-state in three sports (football, basketball and baseball). "He's a little bit of an unknown commodity, an off-the-beaten-path guy," Marlins scouting director Stan Meek said. "But he's a top-of-the-line athlete. We knew some clubs were on him in that range. We just didn't want to lose him." ... Marlins third-rounder Greg Burns, according to Meek, is a "big-time runner, a premium athlete who stays in center." ...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basebal...,5434105.column

Also they nabbed a WR in the 30th round

Joey Munn LHP Foothill HS (Pleasanton, CA)

"Extremely athletic player, however, most in the Bay Area know him as an outstanding wide receiver. Was not eligible to play baseball, but this kid can run and is a very "tooled" player. Nice work digging this kid out by the Marlins Area Scout." MLB scout

and a QB?

John Parker Wilson C 180 Hoover HS

"Alabama QB recruit in football. Florida likes athletes and wants to convert Wilson from a 3B to a catcher." MLB scout

great work :thumbup

John Parker Wilson...QB for Hoover? Must be a baller. Hoover (it's in Birmingham) is a top HS team in the country usually....got some friends who played for Mt. Brook HS (same city) late in the playoffs a couple seasons ago. They are solid. Alas, it's baseball thread and not football.

and they got a RB too :lol ,

2B/CF Jerald Watson(Marlins' 40th selection) "Has rushed for 5,100 yards in three seasons and holds several national track records in the 60 meters. He is also a bonafide major league baseball prospect." MLB scout.The centerfielder batted over .500 with 10 homeruns, 12 doubles, three triples and 20 stolen bases.

"?The first or second round, that?s what I?m hearing,? Watson said before the draft

not good news here

"I really don?t know. It?s a really tough decision,? Watson explained. ?I want to be over at Auburn(the school he committed to play football) because it?s something I planned on doing. It would take first or second round money to keep me out of Auburn.?

WOW!

Watson, who runs a 4.35 40-yard dash, finished a stellar high school career with 6,100 yards rushing and 62 touchdowns.Not surprisingly, Watson is also a track star with a best time of 10.4 seconds in the 100-meter dash. After leading his team to a District title.

BUT,

Does Watson favor one sports over the other?

?I?m more of a baseball guy but it really wouldn?t matter to me,? he explained.

by Bryan Matthews

AuburnSports.com

Watson was projected to be a fifth or sixth rounder until signability issues dropped him way down. The Marlins used a 40th round pick to take a shot at a steal. Watson wanted 450,000, but the Marlins were only offering 200,000 (I think he would have been worth the extra cash).

Watson moved to Auburn this past weekend to start doing summer workouts preparing for the 2004 football season. He will play football this fall, and that is too bad. The kid has near world class speed with a 10.36 100 m and a 4.35 40.

Does anyone know if John Parker Wilson is going to play baseball or football?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.