Civil Unions

Dodge

I was told by one of my gay friends that civil unions have exactly 1024 less rights than a heterosexual marriage. Does anyone know any facts to back this up?

*scratches head*

Now, I don't know about you guys, but if you know my stance, I have always said I support civil unions with EQUAL benefits of a heterosexual marriage. (No need to discuss, we've had a thread about why/why not everyone supports/doesn't support gay marriage)

But I can't support the civil unions if they are devoid of rights compared to a traditional marriage.

Any thoughts?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe in one of the different instances if in a civil union one of the people dues, then they can't cash in on the insurance. So, basically that dude/chick is screwed out of that money.

That's easy - just make'em the benneficiary on the policy. Doing THAT precludes any sort of probate fights.

Relying on default behaviors always gets you into more trouble than being explicit. Huh?

Didn't catch a WORD.

Not for nothing, but alot of benefits have heredity-exclusive right of survivorship clauses, which means a claim made by a surviving blood relative of the immediate family superceded any civil arrangement.

From what I understand, this is the big hang-up with civil unions, and why they are called "Marriage Light."

Also, alot of federal benefits (IE military pension, etc) are unavailable to civil beneficiaries. It makes sense, or the Gov't would have to pay out on every single claim in full, regardless of age, number of dependents, or number of survivors. If this wasn't the case everyone eligible would just appoint a civil survivor as part of their estate planning and the Gov't would be on the hook for masive amounts of money.

Not the best explaination, as obviously I'm not an actuary or anything, but I hope it makes a little sense.

my thought is that this isn't even worth discussing again, because the logical non-biased conclusion is all too simple and yet people still don't get it.

I agree with CFdodge marlin, and your (soriano) logical non-biased conclusion is as logical and non-biased as mine. Again i had to throw that in but i dont want argue this again either

Differences between Civil Unions and Civil "Marriage":

...a company might feel compelled to give family leave benefits to a married gay employee, even though it is not required to do so under federal law.

...civil unions would convey only the approximately 350 state benefits of marriage, while marriage would also ? potentially ? convey about 1,000 federal marriage benefits that many consider essential for financial security.

...partners in federally recognized marriage are guaranteed the right to live out their last days together in the same nursing home room. Partners in civil unions are not.

...Married couples are married no matter what state they're in. Partners in civil unions are not.

...A widow is entitled to an array of financial protections, mainly through Social Security, when a spouse dies. The survivor of a civil union is not.

...Married couples can share ownership of their worldly goods ? homes, cars, salaries ? without paying a cent in taxes. Couples in a civil union cannot, leaving them vulnerable if the partner with the name on the deed dies.

However, there is legislation in progress to change some of these differences in order to make their rights equal to marriage.

Differences between Civil Unions and Civil "Marriage":

...a company might feel compelled to give family leave benefits to a married gay employee, even though it is not required to do so under federal law.

...civil unions would convey only the approximately 350 state benefits of marriage, while marriage would also ? potentially ? convey about 1,000 federal marriage benefits that many consider essential for financial security.

...partners in federally recognized marriage are guaranteed the right to live out their last days together in the same nursing home room. Partners in civil unions are not.

...Married couples are married no matter what state they're in. Partners in civil unions are not.

...A widow is entitled to an array of financial protections, mainly through Social Security, when a spouse dies. The survivor of a civil union is not.

...Married couples can share ownership of their worldly goods ? homes, cars, salaries ? without paying a cent in taxes. Couples in a civil union cannot, leaving them vulnerable if the partner with the name on the deed dies.

However, there is legislation in progress to change some of these differences in order to make their rights equal to marriage. Thats my stance, civil unions with same rights as marriage for the time being.