One Marlin in the future game

Billy Murphy on being selected:

http://www.pe.com/sports/other/stories/PE_...s_22.a1c12.html

Riverside Arlington graduate Bill Murphy was selected to participate in the 2004 Futures Game, an all-star game pitting top minor league players born in the United States against those born elsewhere.

The July 11 game is part of the Major League Baseball All-Star Weekend.

"It's really hasn't hit me yet, but it certainly is exciting," Murphy, 23, said by phone. "It was a big surprise. It wasn't something that I was expecting to happen to me.

"It's a great opportunity, and I can't wait. Houston is a great town, so it should be a blast."

Murphy, a 6-foot, 190-pound left-handed pitcher, is 6-2 with a 3.08 earned run average and 90 strikeouts in 76 innings with the Carolina Mudcats, the Florida Marlins' Class AA franchise in the Southern League.

Murphy was rated the Marlins' No. 7 prospect by Baseball America.

Once a rising star in the A's organization, Murphy was traded in the off-season as part of the deal that sent Mark Redman to Oakland. Murphy said he has been happy with his new club.

"It really was a pretty easy transition," Murphy said. "The Marlins are a great club."