MLB Doubleheader Rule Discussion

CapeFish

Now I "mistakenly" stated that a DH could not be ended if it was a blowout in the seventh inning. For those who attacked me, explain why it cannot happen even though a manager could in theory forfeit a game, or an umpire call a game because of several conditions like bad weather, travel, fatigue, etc.

(a) A regulation game consists of nine innings, unless extended because of a tie score, or shortened (1) because the home team needs none of its half of the ninth inning or only a fraction of it, or (2) because the umpire calls the game. EXCEPTION: National Association leagues may adopt a rule providing that one or both games of a doubleheader shall be seven innings in length. In such games, any of these rules applying to the ninth inning shall apply to the seventh inning. (b) If the score is tied after nine completed innings play shall continue until (1) the visiting team has scored more total runs than the home team at the end of a completed inning, or (2) the home team scores the winning run in an uncompleted inning. © If a game is called, it is a regulation game: (1) If five innings have been completed; (2) If the home team has scored more runs in four or four and a fraction half innings than the visiting team has scored in five completed half innings; (3) If the home team scores one or more runs in its half of the fifth inning to tie the score. (d) If each team has the same number of runs when the game ends, the umpire shall declare it a "Tie Game." (e) If a game is called before it has become a regulation game, the umpire shall declare it "No Game." (f) Rain checks will not be honored for any regulation or suspended game which has progressed to or beyond a point of play described in 4.10©

http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/official...start_end_4.jsp

This is where I saw and thought that since it was the MLB rulebook, the National Association Leagues meant the leagues that became the National League.

First of all, that's not what you said.

What you said was the umpires could call the game after 7 innings of the first game of a double header if there was a "big lead." When I asked what a big lead was, you said that was by umpires discretion. When I pointed out you misread the rules, you agreed. You even admitted that you misread "National Association" in the official rules to mean "National League."

Then you claimed you meant that the umpires and managers can agree to call a game because it's a blowout.

That's technically true, I guess. But you don't need both managers to agree or the umpires to be okay with it. One manager would just have to pull his team off the field. Can you imagine what would happen? The press would go nuts, accusing the manager of "quitting." Some fan or fans would claim they didn't get their money's worth, even if it was a double-header.

It's actually an interesting idea, even forgetting the double-header part. Forfeit a blowout to save the bullpen. But it would mess with the stats too. Don't all the stats get wiped out in a forfeit? MLB would be really unhappy.

As far as travel, weather, etc., again that's not what you said and that's not what I was disagreeing with. You were talking about shortening the first game so you could start the second. It was in response to somebody's very valid point that the second game would end after midnight. You're changing the rules Cape. You should've just left your original post out there - it was pertinent in the thread that it was in because it dealt with DH rules.

First of all, that's not what you said.

What you said was the umpires could call the game after 7 innings of the first game of a double header if there was a "big lead." When I asked what a big lead was, you said that was by umpires discretion. When I pointed out you misread the rules, you agreed. You even admitted that you misread "National Association" in the official rules to mean "National League."

Then you claimed you meant that the umpires and managers can agree to call a game because it's a blowout.

That's technically true, I guess. But you don't need both managers to agree or the umpires to be okay with it. One manager would just have to pull his team off the field. Can you imagine what would happen? The press would go nuts, accusing the manager of "quitting." Some fan or fans would claim they didn't get their money's worth, even if it was a double-header.

It's actually an interesting idea, even forgetting the double-header part. Forfeit a blowout to save the bullpen. But it would mess with the stats too. Don't all the stats get wiped out in a forfeit? MLB would be really unhappy.

489379[/snapback]

No word on the stats.

Here is the part in the rule book about forfeiting a dh game.

4.15 A game may be forfeited to the opposing team when a team:

(a) Fails to appear upon the field, or being upon the field, refuses to start play within five minutes after the umpire has called "Play" at the appointed hour for beginning the game, unless such delayed appearance is, in the umpire's judgment, unavoidable;

(b) Employs tactics palpably designed to delay or shorten the game;

© Refuses to continue play during a game unless the game has been suspended or terminated by the umpire;

(d) Fails to resume play, after a suspension, within one minute after the umpire has called "Play;"

(e) After warning by the umpire, willfully and persistently violates any rules of the game;

(f) Fails to obey within a reasonable time the umpire's order for removal of a player from the game;

(g) Fails to appear for the second game of a doubleheader within twenty minutes after the close of the first game unless the umpire in chief of the first game shall have extended the time of the intermission.

Just for the record, the reason I closed the other thread was because it was not on topic and I have been told to keep bickering seperate from fact. This thread is about the conversation.

489410[/snapback]

where's the other thread?

i wanna see what you said.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.