Update on Mota

MIAMI -- Since Spring Training, Marlins closer Guillermo Mota's elbow hasn't felt completely right.

The initial stiffness turned into worrisome inflammation last Friday in Philadelphia. So before that game against the Phillies, plans were made to return Mota to South Florida, where an MRI and CT scan taken last Saturday confirmed the inflammation but no serious damage.

On the disabled list a week, Mota is projected to miss three weeks total. His first big step in recovery came on Friday, when he tossed from 60 feet for a few minutes during pregame workouts.

Mota expects to light toss more on Saturday, and if he keeps progressing, he could be throwing off a mound late next week.

Mota says the cooler weather in Colorado, where it snowed and two games were postponed, irritated the elbow.

"The MRI showed a lot of inflammation," said Mota, who now can flex his right arm with ease after being in pain a week ago. "I've just taken the medicine, stretched and used heat to get my motion back."

Mota spent the past few days getting treatment at the team's complex at Roger Dean Stadium in Jupiter.

"I will see how I feel today and tomorrow," said Mota, who likely won't throw on Sunday. "Then I'll long toss and throw on the side."

this part from the Herald is a little unnerving:

Mota said there is an outside chance he could require arthroscopic surgery if the injury persists, but would first try to pitch through the discomfort if that turns out to be the case.

I dont know what worse, the fact he could require arthroscopic surgery or the fact he would pitch through the pain

this part from the Herald is a little unnerving:

Mota said there is an outside chance he could require arthroscopic surgery if the injury persists, but would first try to pitch through the discomfort if that turns out to be the case.

I dont know what worse, the fact he could require arthroscopic surgery or the fact he would pitch through the pain

765816[/snapback]

Damn, that's a catch-22. If he has to have surgery, he's out for the year, but if he has to pitch through pain, he could run the risk of being ineffective and injuring the arm further (can anyone say Thommy John?).

This isn't "good" news...