Twins' pitcher Milton out for 4-6 months

DurableTear

CBS.SportsLine.com Story

Knee surgery to sideline Twins pitcher Milton 4-6 months

March 8, 2003

SportsLine.com wire reports

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Minnesota Twins pitcher Eric Milton is expected to be sidelined four-to-six months following surgery on his left knee.

"I have to be on crutches for a month so it's going to be a long road," Milton said Saturday. "I saw the video the day after the surgery and it was enlightening."

The left-hander had arthroscopic surgery Wednesday in Park City, Utah, performed by Dr. Thomas Rosenberg. The operation revealed torn and loose cartilage, and inflammation associated with arthritis.

Milton said Rosenberg told him it would be four-to-six months before he could return to action. Before the surgery, Milton had hoped he could be back after the first week of the regular season.

Milton plans to start swimming next week and riding a bicycle in two weeks. He is optimistic he will be able to return in about four months.

"I know we'll be in first place by the time I get back and I just want to be able to help the club as soon as I can," he said. "I'm not out of the mix for this year."

Milton, the Twins' No. 2 starter, is 41-26 the past three years. He made the All-Star team in 2001.

The AL Central champions will move left-hander Johan Santana into the starting rotation while Milton is out. Santana went 7-5 with a 3.24 ERA in 14 starts last season.

Milton, 27, had surgery on the same knee last August to repair a torn medial meniscus and made it back for the last month of the regular season and the playoffs.

He said he thinks the damage that was repaired this time might have happened in June when he hyperextended his knee trying to beat out a grounder against the New York Mets.

Multiple MRI exams on his knee showed nothing, despite constant swelling. Milton said he felt fine throwing until two weeks ago, a couple of days before his first scheduled start of the spring.

AP NEWS

The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2003, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved