Maybe we can match up with Philly

NirvanaNole

They've been rumored to want AJ and need a new 3B. Bell is playing almost as bad as Lowell has been and he had the luxury of playing in Coors east. Even struggling, Lowell is a huge upgrade over Bell.

Contracts

Bell - 05 - $4.5 million; 06 - $4.5 million

Wagner - 05 - $9 million

AJ - 05 - $3.65 million

Lowell - 05 - $7.5 million; 06 - $9 million; 07 - $9 million

We'd pay a little more money the rest of this year, but we'd get rid of Lowell's contract. It is pretty obvious AJ won't resign here and I doubt Wagner will resign with the Phils. The Phils have the money to take a chance on Lowell coming out of his slump and resigning AJ.

If we made the trade, we could try to trade Bell to the Twins or Padres. Worst case scenario, Bell ends up on our bench for the next year and a half.

I think the Phils would bite. The deal is better than the crap the O's are offering. Thoughts?

Do not trade AJ or Lowell within the division please. That would come back to bite us over and over.

Oh and I don't even like that deal much. Lowell has been having great swings in the 2nd half (yeah a small sample space) and I'd rather take my chances with him than Bell. You yourself said Bell would probably be on our bench so you'd want to trade AJ and Lowell for Billy Wagner as a rent a player and that's it? I respect your opinion but I also respectfully disagree with it.

Do not trade AJ or Lowell within the division please.? That would come back to bite us over and over.

Oh and I don't even like that deal much.? Lowell has been having great swings in the 2nd half (yeah a small sample space) and I'd rather take my chances with him than Bell.? You yourself said Bell would probably be on our bench so you'd want to trade AJ and Lowell for Billy Wagner as a rent a player and that's it?? I respect your opinion but I also respectfully disagree with it.

871503[/snapback]

It depends on how you look at the deal. The FO's goal appears to be to get rid of Lowell's contract. This is a good deal that could stafisy that, IMO. The reason for the move it to put Cabrera at 3B and open up LF for Conine/Hermida to play this season. Also, we could already have a second deal in place with a guy like Kearns. My gut could be wrong, but I think we'll make a deal with the Reds in the future if we clear Lowell's salary and open up 3B for Cabrera.

I think we'd be able to deal Bell to the Twins or Padres. If we cleared his contract, that is a lot of money saved for the next two years.

Wagner/Jones/Mota would save our pitchers in the second half more than AJ would. Willis appears to be spiraling downward and Beckett always has injury issues. Plus, Olsen and Vargas aren't ready to go longer than six innings on a constant basis. Wagner/Jones/Mota would shorten the games and help the rest of our staff more than AJ would, IMO.

Also, I don't think AJ would resign with the Phils. He'll end up in the AL East next year, IMO. We'd only have to deal with him in our division the rest of this year.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.