Help deciding new truck

Admin

Both are 2003, both are Dodge rams, both are four wheel drive and 4 door extened cab, both are $20,995

The differences: Truck A)black with 34,000 miles and 4.7 litre engine, not fully loaded, 18 MPG

Truck B)Red with 52,000 miles and 5.7 litre hemi engine, fully loaded, 17 MPG

On a normal day, the clear choice would be the Hemi, but that extra 18K miles has me worried. Anyone have any thoughts.

Let me introduce you to my good friend Kelly Blue Book. This is one of the guides that dealers use to determine trade-in values. Then, they lowball the customer below the trade-in value and try to sell for more than the resale value. I have bought several cars at great deals by doing this: 1. determine the resale value. 2. determine the trade-in value 3. subtract the trade-in value from the resale value. 4. Divide that number by 2. 5. Add that number to the trade-in value. Example:

Resale Value = $20,000

Trade-in value = $12,000

$20,000 - $12,000 = $8000

$8000/2 = $4000

$12,000 + $4000 = $16,000

If you offer $15,000 and let them talk you up to $16,000 [or that general area] you will get a good deal.

One more word of advice, dealers are trying to have a fire sale on trucks that don't get over 20 mpg. Use gas prices to your advantage and feed them that fear...

Truck A: $16,450

Truck B: $18,280

You shouldn't pay more than that. With that said, you are talking about a V8. Assuming that the oil was changed on these suckers once in a while, your engine will outlast your truck. Somebody bought my old Chevy pickup with a 454 just for the engine - and it had almost 200,000 miles on it...