A few questions if you don't mind

Lock

Hey Fish fans.

I've been a Braves fan since I was '86, but I moved to S. Florida about 9 years ago and spent 5 years there before moving to C. Florida (Daytona beach). Therefore I've always followed the Marlins to some degree. I'll admit I didn't like the 97 team, because of how it was constructed, but I've been impressed with the rebuilding that has gone since. The Marlins of 2003 were one of the more exciting teams to watch and I really found myself pulling for them as if they were my own team. My father's a huge fan, and recently signed up here to learn more of the rebuilding that is going on.

For those fans a little upset about the rebuilding and playing a roster full of rookies. This past year watching the Braves was the most exciting since 91, when we went worse to first. The kids bring an enthusiasm that is highly contagious.

I love watching a team rebuild, and I have a few questions for the die-hard fans that follow the team much closer than I do.

I know ther will be other "pieces" involved after Loduca and Pierre are traded.There are a lot of unknowns, but there are some certainties.

We'll start with the position players

C- Do you guys feel comfortable with Treanor as the starting Catcher. I know there are other players on the roster like Jacobs that could catch, but would be better off in other positions.

1B- Do you guys want Conine back?I hear Conine is close to signing, and would be great insurance at 1B if Jacobs doesn't cut it, or maybe even a platoon situation with the lefty Jacobs and righty Conine. Conine would be a great signing, due to his ability to play the OF and 1B and a veteran clubhouse prescence.

2B- Do you think Castilla will/should be traded? I really think the Castillo rumors are just rumors. I see him staying put and taking over the leadoff spot, after Pierre departs. If he does get traded, how's the Wilson kid's chances of making taking his spot?

3B- Is it ime to lock up Cabrera to a 5-6 year deal, avoid those arbitration years and get him at a discount those first few FA years? Cabrera is a beast. You guys lucked out with this kid.

SS- I wanted Hanley Ramirez, when I found out the braves were most likely going to lose Furcal. He's a good prospect, but will require some patience. He kind of reminds me of a SS version of Cory Patterson. He has all the tolls, but hasn't learned quite how to use them. Good trade IMO. How the's other kid (Andino I belive)? Could he still make the roster as a back-up at SS and 2B?

OF- Hermida is going to win ROY. I think he and Francoeur will be linked together like Jeter/A-rod were for so many years, when they were both playing SS.

I haven't heard E. Reed's name mentioned. Is he a candidate to take over in CF when Pierre gets traded? Is Willingham able to take over in LF, if you have a proven CF coupled with Hermida. I doubt you guys want 3 rookies in the OF.

What other position players are candiated to promote from within?

SP-rotation

D-Train- Is it time to lock him up longterm also and avoid thoe abitration years and get a few FA years at a dicsount?

Olsen- Is he for real and ready to step in?

Vargas and Petit- These 2 seem like similar pitchers and with the two other lefties in Olsen and D-train, does this make one of the extendable in another trade?

Johnson- I don't know much about the Johnson kid you guys are talking about. What's his projection?

Bullpen-

Is Mota cheap option at closer. I heard he set to make only 1.5-2 million in arbitration. Cna he handle it, when he's healthy. I know he was injury plagued last year.

Villone- I know he dissapointed, but he's still a good SP/RP tweener IMO, even though he's set to make 2 million. Will he be traded to make room for another lefty that doesn' make the rotation? Or do you guys want to keep a veteran like that in the pen?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Lock

Treanor is a fine backup catcher. He is not an everyday starter.

Im torn on Conine. He is a type A free agent and we could get some solid draft picks for him. Also, I dont want him takign at bats away from Willingham or Jacobs. But I would like him back off the bench.

Castillo is the one guy I dont want leaving... then again, if we get a young 2b in return, Im all for it. Josh Wilson is a utility man.

Not sure how you can compare Ramirez to Patterson. Corey has 4 years on him and time in the majors, Hanley has not. Andino is a nice player but has been dogging it in the AFL, he probably starts the year in AAA or AA depending on space.

Eric Reed's name hasnt been mentioned. He was great in the hitter's paradise of the PCL but sucked in AA. Josh Willingham's bat is more than ready. He should get tons of at bats this year.

Josh Johnson is a Brad Penny clone.

Petit needs another half year in the minors, atleast.

Mota. Dont know what to say about him. He was so disappointing last year. If he is back, he probably closes while Randy Messenger and Chris Resop learn the ropes as setup men

You are right by saying more pieces will be added once Pierre and LoDuca are shipped, and as they are more "players of the future" questions will be answered. Jeremy Hermida (RF), Miguel Cabrera (3B), Hanley Ramirez (SS), and Mike Jacobs (1B) will all man there positions in a Marlins uniform for the long run (barring any unforseen transactions)...

The starting rotation will fill out nicely and figures to include all those young guns who have been maturing in the minors...Dontrelle, Vargas, Olsen, Josh Johnson, Anibal Sanchez, Yusmeiro Petit, Chris Volstad, and maybe even Jeff Allison seem to be primed for the rotation very soon...

Questions at catcher (Treanor is the perfect backup, Willingham lacks the defensive abilities), Second Base (Castillo may stay and anchor the infield), and in the outfield (Aguila, Abercrombie, and Reed will be in the mix) will presumably be answered by the next series of trades the Fish induce...

Not sure how you can compare Ramirez to Patterson. Corey has 4 years on him and time in the majors, Hanley has not

That was just my opinion, becasue I remmber hearing the same things about Patterson when he was in AA which is in Daytona beach (where I live) that I hear about HanRam.

C- Do you guys feel comfortable with Treanor as the starting Catcher. I know there are other players on the roster like Jacobs that could catch, but would be better off in other positions.

I for one am NOT comfortable with Treanor. He's a nice backup, but I don't trust him with the bat everyday. No power at all, and doesn't really even hit for average.

1B- Do you guys want Conine back?I hear Conine is close to signing, and would be great insurance at 1B if Jacobs doesn't cut it, or maybe even a platoon situation with the lefty Jacobs and righty Conine. Conine would be a great signing, due to his ability to play the OF and 1B and a veteran clubhouse prescence.

I would love to have Conine back (I'm a mark for classic Marlins), but at the right price. His power numbers really declined badly last year, and that was disappointing. Other than that, you know what you're getting from him- good defense, a good batting average, and a hard-worker who gets the job done.

2B- Do you think Castilla will/should be traded? I really think the Castillo rumors are just rumors. I see him staying put and taking over the leadoff spot, after Pierre departs. If he does get traded, how's the Wilson kid's chances of making taking his spot?

Castillo is one of my favorite players. I don't think we should trade Pierre AND Castillo, but instead, one or the other. The one left should bat leadoff. As for Josh Wilson, I think he's best suited as a utility man (he can play short and third too), and he didn't handle the bat well in 10 ABs last year.

3B- Is it ime to lock up Cabrera to a 5-6 year deal, avoid those arbitration years and get him at a discount those first few FA years? Cabrera is a beast. You guys lucked out with this kid.

I don't really think you can make any long-term deals right now, with the shape this franchise is in. If anything, the team is probably hoping he plays down a level the next couple of years, to lower his price tag if it does come to a long-term deal.

SS- I wanted Hanley Ramirez, when I found out the braves were most likely going to lose Furcal. He's a good prospect, but will require some patience. He kind of reminds me of a SS version of Cory Patterson. He has all the tolls, but hasn't learned quite how to use them. Good trade IMO. How the's other kid (Andino I belive)? Could he still make the roster as a back-up at SS and 2B?

If his performance in the AFL is any indication, Andino is a headcase. Despite a low average, I thought he did relatively well at the plate in a short time last year. He's supposed to be good with the glove, but he gets lazy. I don't know that he's played much 2B.

OF- Hermida is going to win ROY. I think he and Francoeur will be linked together like Jeter/A-rod were for so many years, when they were both playing SS.

I hope so- I think he'll do fine in the field, but, other than his two homers, he seemed just average at the plate. I'm sure he'll improve with time.

I haven't heard E. Reed's name mentioned. Is he a candidate to take over in CF when Pierre gets traded? Is Willingham able to take over in LF, if you have a proven CF coupled with Hermida. I doubt you guys want 3 rookies in the OF.

I think Cabs is penciled in at third with Lowell gone. Conine will prolly play left if Jacobs takes a hold of the first base job. Reed is lightning quick, but strikes out a lot and doesn't walk. He could get a chance at the CF spot. Willy is a touchy subject on this board.

What other position players are candiated to promote from within?

Pitching.

D-Train- Is it time to lock him up longterm also and avoid thoe abitration years and get a few FA years at a dicsount?

Olsen- Is he for real and ready to step in?

Vargas and Petit- These 2 seem like similar pitchers and with the two other lefties in Olsen and D-train, does this make one of the extendable in another trade?

Johnson- I don't know much about the Johnson kid you guys are talking about. What's his projection?

RE: D-Train: see Cabs. Not sure if Olsen is for real- I have more confidence in Josh Johnson. Don't know much about Petit. Vargas was solid last year, and I'd be surprised if the Marlins traded him: he's cheap, young and good. Like Ramp said, Johnson reminds many of Brad Penny.

Is Mota cheap option at closer. I heard he set to make only 1.5-2 million in arbitration. Cna he handle it, when he's healthy. I know he was injury plagued last year.

Villone- I know he dissapointed, but he's still a good SP/RP tweener IMO, even though he's set to make 2 million. Will he be traded to make room for another lefty that doesn' make the rotation? Or do you guys want to keep a veteran like that in the pen?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Lock

I'm not sold on Mota. I'd like to see him get shipped out this off-season; however, who would close? The way Villone performed last year, I'm thinking the Fish are thinking $2 mil is too expensive for a middle reliever.

Hope this helped.

I hope so- I think he'll do fine in the field, but, other than his two homers, he seemed just average at the plate. I'm sure he'll improve with time.

You weren't impressed with Hermida?? He had 4 homers, 11 RBI and an OPS of over 1.000 albeit in a small sample size (41AB's). Pretty encouraging if you ask me.

You weren't impressed with Hermida?? He had 4 homers, 11 RBI and an OPS of over 1.000 albeit in a small sample size (41AB's). Pretty encouraging if you ask me.

He was fine, but not the overhyped Cabs type that everyone was expecting. K'd a few more times than I thought he would.

To the original poster:

C- Treanor, as cool as he is, isn't an everyday catcher. I liken him to a Mike Redmond type except without the left hander killing and naked batting practice. He's a guy you love to have as your backup and have no qualms giving him a start or two a week, but not the kind of player you want assuming the bulk of the receptor duties. We need first and foremost a great signal caller to handle this staff, and just under that in importance is arm/defense (which Treanor handles well). Hitting is pointless for the position at the moment.

1B- I could see Niner starting against lefties at 1B, though I remember being damn pissy about the last lefty platoon we saw at first base. Do I want Niner back? Sure. But what is his role going to be? Who knows. I think he can still be productive, but I think the same of Willingham. It's a solid problem to have.

2B- Keep Luiy under all circumstances. If, for some God forsaken reason he's dealt (and we don't resign Easley), just plug Andino in there or something. At that point might as well have someone that'll look cool doing the job.

3B- We shouldn't do anything with Cabs until our outlook is clearer. Nothing has changed as far as he is concerned in the past week.

SS- I like Hanley, I'm not going to lie. Do I think he's ready? Ehh, leaning to no. Does it matter? Nope. If he's going to look cool and wear those shades every day game, throw him out there. SR says he adjusts well to the new levels he plays at so he could be up to par soon enough. Besides, he only has to top Bass' O and he can hit right before Hermida-Cabrera-Jacobs and behind Luiy if we do the lineup right.

OF- The Messiah is the real deal. I'm liking the possibility of Gathright in CF, always thought he was a cool feller. Reed sucks and his name shouldn't be mentioned as anything other than a AAAA player. Willy will be in LF, whether he platoons with Niner is up to the FO this offseason. I think he does and would welcome it. Aguila probably takes the 4th OF job, and Pimp Juice needs to be in there somehow.

Promotion wise, not much at the moment. Joe Dillon will probably earn a spot on the bench, maybe Ryan Jorgenson if Lo Duca is dealt and Treanor is handed the reigns. That's about it, our wealth lies on the pitching rubber.

Starting Staff- Train is in the same boat as The Lazy One as far as signing them long term goes. Vargas is pretty much the 3 starter at this point (no back to back LHP, eww) with either Johnson or Petit getting the two job. Smart money is on Johnson there. From there we'll probably see a battle between a bunch of righties for the 4th spot, with Petit being the odds on favorite at the moment there, and Scott Olsen rounding out the rotation at 5 not by talent but by the arm he throws with (L-R-L-R-L).

Bullpen- Last thing you need when you're rebuilding. I wouldn't mind bringing Guillermo back, I think he got a bad draw the last two seasons. Can he close? We've never tried, so let's find out. He won't need to close many anyways. Villone probably won't be here, but if he is whatever. Resop, Messenger, Kensing if healthy, Bump will all probably be in there. Maybe even Sanchez/Tankersley (and after the emergence of Vargas so quickly, can't rule out someone like Volstad or any of the other 2005ers making the leap later on) if they advance well this season. This all brings out a very young but very talented bullpen, should be fun to watch them rack up the K's and grow.

Glad to answer any other questions if needed.

Hmm, he's still listed on the Burque website. Who knows.

Oh, forgot about Reggie Abercrombie. Showtime might get a looksie later on this season.

As far as my Opening Day lineup as of right now, I would go with:

2B- Castillo

CF- Pierre

RF- Hermida

3B- Cabrera

1B- Jacobs

C- Lo Duca

LF- Willingham

SS- Ramirez

SP- Willis

Something tells me I'll have to update this lineup by the end of the weekend, though. If Pierre leaves Ramirez takes his spot at 2.