Florida Chris Leak staying in school

MrAndMrsFish

GAINESVILLE, Fla. ? (AP) ? Florida quarterback Chris Leak ended speculation about his future Monday, attending the first day of spring classes and saying he will return for his senior season.

Leak petitioned the NFL underclassman advisory council in December to find out where he might be drafted if he opted to leave school after his junior year. Leak refused to disclose details about the feedback, but said it was positive.

"Me and my family were very pleased with the NFL assessment results,'' he said. "It's great to know I could be drafted and play in the NFL next season, but I'm coming back for my senior year to try to make my skills better and try to better myself as a quarterback and come back and try to win the SEC.''

Leak will have to accomplish his goals without two junior teammates, though. Receiver Chad Jackson and cornerback Dee Webb have decided to forgo their final seasons and enter the NFL draft.

Jackson tied the school record for receptions with 88 catches for 900 yards and nine touchdowns. He matched Carlos Alvarez's mark set in 1969.

Webb had 46 tackles, a team-high 13 pass breakups, two forced fumbles and an interception last season. He played particularly well late in the year.

Leak did, too. He completed nearly 63 percent of his passes for 2,639 yards and 20 touchdowns, including 956 yards and nine touchdowns in the last four games.

He also was sacked 32 times in 12 games and often criticized for not being a good fit for coach Urban Meyer's spread-option offense.

Leak looked awkward running most option aspects of the offense. He finished the year with 81 yards rushing and six touchdowns on 105 attempts.

Some thought Leak might jump to the NFL, especially with heralded recruit Tim Tebow enrolling early and competing for the job during spring practice. Meyer already said he expected Leak to be pushed at the position.

But Leak reiterated his desire to lead the Gators another season in hopes of winning the Southeastern Conference and the national title.

"Those are still my goals and that's one of the reasons I'm coming back,'' Leak said.