Rays add Micelli...

Malman

He's still a bum...

TAMPA - The Devil Rays added another new face to their restructured bullpen, signing journeyman reliever Dan Miceli to two-year contract worth $1.5 million, with a club option for 2008.

Miceli, 35, is a 13-year major-league veteran with stints with nine teams. He's pitched in 60 or more games four times.

He is coming off a difficult 2005 season. Miceli began the year in Japan with the Yomiuri Giants, but was released after two and a half weeks. He then signed a minor-league contract with Colorado. Miceli was promoted to the Rockies in June and he was 1-2 with a 5.89 ERA in 18 1/3 innings, but he was shelved for the rest of the season two months later with multiple stress fractures in his foot.

In 2004 with Houston, Miceli went 6-6 with a 3.59 ERA as the Astros' set-up man. He struck out 83 batters in 77 2/3 innings. He reportedly considered retiring after that season.

The signing comes a day after the Rays signed Japanese relief pitcher Shinji Mori. Miceli will likely complete with Mori for the Rays' setup role.

To make room on their 40-man roster, the Rays designated reliever Franklin Nunez for assignment.

If he goes back to the Dan Miceli the Marlins traded Brian Medows for, it could be promising, if he pitches like he pitched last season, that even a Japanese team didn't want him (laughable), then they are wasting their time AND money. I personally think 1.5 million over two seasons was too much anyway, waste of money, they could have done better than that. Although he pitched for Colorado last season which could be a reflection of his 5 PLUS ERA, I assure you he still wasn't in command. I expect him to be in the minor leagues by mid season. Hopefully for the Devil Rays sake he proves me otherwise so I can shut up. What is up with the Devil Rays always signing the older players anyway?