Get some opinions...

Admin

This was on a Cardinals board, in a friendly discussion between me, a mod, and one other fellow. The discussion has been over since, I'd say...Saturday I think. Anyhow, we'd moved on, basicially taking in the point and counter points and basicially taking a wait and see approach, to see whos right. Well I checked the thread today, since it was after the big performence tonight against Houston, and some guy...who was not in the original discussion...threw this out there

Well, how about Sergio Mitre, my pick to lose the most games this year. Didn't see him pitch, but, his line in the box score looks pretty sharp (6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K).

There's no way the Marlins' offense touches the Mets' offense, even with Lo Duca batting second. The Mets have the advantage in pitching all the way down the board.

Pedro v. Willis - Mets

Glavine v. Vargas - Mets

Zambrano v. Moehler - Mets

Trachsel v. Mitre - Mets

Bannister v. Nolasco - Mets, for the moment

I don't even have to go into the bullpen. The Mets have good relievers in Wagner, Heilman, and Sanchez, and capable ones in Bradford, and Julio. The Marlins' best relievers (Borowski, Wellemeyer) are questionable, and the rest should be on the farm. The Mets will score more runs, and allow fewer runs than the Marlins, I gaurantee it.

I dont really know how to respond to this, and not sure if I even want to, because the debate ended well. But I dont agree with the guy at all, since IMO the Mets pitching, if it is indeed better than ours, is only by a smidge. Any thoughts on what to say in a well thought out counter point, or just move on?

Eh.. I think the Marlins will be decent.. even better than most of those in the thread but I dont even know who's pitching is better..

I know some Cards fans are annoying as hell, but mind you to some of us, you can be just as annoying.. I dont mind ya though!

Heres the thread if you really care :lol

By the way.. 'Becket is a Marlin For Life' .. Good one MF!

To compare rotation spot for rotation spot like that is a flaw riddled argument.

In essence, the Mets are no better than a 2 pitcher team, and feature only one pitcher you'd really trust in a big game, and in many ways, that's the Marlins too.

I'll say this much, over the course of a season, and all other things equal (offense, home ballpark, etc), it isn't a slam dunk decision to take the Mets rotation over the Marlins rotation, unless you guarantee Pedro will make 30 starts...and that by no means is a guarantee you can make with a straight face at the moment.

P.S.: Just one more thing to think about, all 5 teams in the NL East feature a legit shut the offense down pitcher (Pedro, Dontrelle, Myers, Livan, Hudson/Smoltz). Just think about this, let's say of Pedro's 30 starts, he makes 8 of them against some combination of those other 4. That's, in many instances, a coin-flip as to who wins as both pitchers will keep their team in it for 7 or 8 innings. The Mets have the wrong type of rotation for this division as all teams are at least one ace deep...just think about that.

Ya, CJE15, I'd say I've had more good discussions over there than the ones that turn into fish vs birds, which I am provoked on sometimes. And, we do agree on Marquis...alot of people on that board have him annointed to ultra mega superstar for some reason. The only time I recall actually getting people super mad was my tirade against TLR. Oh well.

P.S.: Just one more thing to think about, all 5 teams in the NL East feature a legit shut the offense down pitcher (Pedro, Dontrelle, Myers, Livan, Hudson/Smoltz). For the sake of argument, let's say of Pedro's 30 starts, he makes 8 of them against some combination of those other 4. That's, in many instances, a coin-flip as to who wins as both pitchers will keep their team in it for 7 or 8 innings. The Mets have the wrong type of rotation for this division as all teams are at least one ace deep...just think about that.

I honestly dont think their offense will be so much greater either. Delgado is good, Wright is good, but everything else there is either not very good(whoever they have playing 2nd), not as good as it once was(Lo Duca), or not as good as advertised(Beltran).

As for our offense...it's a grab bag full of great potential, not really sure what your going to get.

I honestly dont think their offense will be so much greater either. Delgado is good, Wright is good, but everything else there is either not very good(whoever they have playing 2nd), not as good as it once was(Lo Duca), or not as good as advertised(Beltran).

As for our offense...it's a grab bag full of great potential, not really sure what your going to get.

The offense will be fine.

Legendary? No. Better than the middle of the pack in the NL? Sure.

Here's the thing. The Mets writers and their fans think they have added two obscenely huge upgrades in Delgado and LoDuca, but LoDuca is really just a lateral move with Piazza (go ahead and look at Paul's numbers from the second half of 2004 to now) and Delgado, for all he brings is a big upgrade but as we saw last season he and one other player can't carry an offense, not in this division built around pitching.

The Mets are only the victim of their own foolishly high expectations. They're going to be a good team, but they're expected to be almost legendary and that just isn't possible, not with the pitching distributed the way it is in the division, and the Mets having marginally better than league average starters 2-5.