Ubisoft Reveals Red Steel for Revolution

Bradcore

Ubisoft's Red Steel Revealed

Revolution-exclusive first-person shooter with big guns and swords? Game Informer Mag has the details.

by Matt Casamassina

April 7, 2006 - The latest issue of Game Informer Magazine has a cover story on an ambitious new game developed from the ground up for Nintendo's next generation console, codenamed Revolution. The title, called Red Steel, according to the publication, is a first-person shooter that enables players to take control of a sharp sword in addition to an assortment of guns to fight off enemies. The mag published first screens of the title in motion, which appear to be in 16x9 widescreen, and they look pretty good to us. We encourage readers to pick up the latest issue to see the images for themselves.

The title utilizes the Revolution's free-hand style pointer for some innovative control mechanics, Game Informer reports. For instance, players are able to hold swords or guns normally or side-armed depending upon how they hold the controller. Meanwhile, it's possible to block incoming attacks using the sword, too. The publication also states that gamers will be able to jump over and take cover behind objects with the flick of the Revolution controller. On top of everything else, the mag promises that Red Steel will not only support an online multiplayer mode, but arrive as a launch title later this year.

The new issue of Game Informer Magazine is already hitting the homes of subscribers, as evidenced by the numerous scans that have flooded the Web. But it doesn't pay to steal. Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy. The screens alone are worth the price of admission.

IGN will have more on Red Steel in the coming weeks. Stay tune

Source

More Pics Here

the controller is still headshakingly idiotic.

I for one think the controller is great. I'm glad to finally have a major change in how we play games. We've been playing games the same way for the past 10 or 11 years. It's time for a change. Plus, this games looks to be the type of first person shooter I've been looking for since Wolfenstein 3D

the controller is still headshakingly idiotic.

I for one think the controller is great. I'm glad to finally have a major change in how we play games. We've been playing games the same way for the past 10 or 11 years. It's time for a change. Plus, this games looks to be the type of first person shooter I've been looking for since Wolfenstein 3D

Yeah absolutely. I've played games the same way for the past 20 years and it is time to change it up a little bit. Sure the controller looks strange, but I think its really going to enhance the way we experience certain games.

That controller intrigues me.

It's something different. I also like the fact that the system is backwards compatible (with a Gamecube slot, and you'll be able to download, for a small fee, N64, SNES and Nintendo games).

For it's price I'll give it a try. Especially since that PS3 will probably break my wallet in half.

The more I read about this console, the more I like. I mean, Nintendo is trying to do something a LITTLE bit different. Yes, they're going backwards compatible and you can play Gamecube games on the console (like being able to play PS2 and PS1 games on the PS3, etc.), but that controller has a little more to it. Also, the console is supposed to be not much thicker than three DVD boxes stacked next to each other slimwise, and only a little bit bigger in it's other dimensions.

Anyways, I found some more stuff on it and thought I'd post it:

Virtual Console

Main article: Virtual Console

One of the most anticipated features of the Nintendo Revolution is its game download service, dubbed the "Virtual Console." Despite other rumors, Nintendo of America expects "Virtual Console" to be the final name of the service.[10] Using this Virtual Console service, users will have the ability to download and play many or all Nintendo-produced NES/Famicom, SNES/Super Famicom, and N64 games for a small fee as little as "a few pounds." [11] More notably, some games may offer free retro downloads as a bonus for the purchase.[12] Nintendo has also announced that games developed for the Sega Genesis and TurboGrafx 16 consoles will be offered via the Virtual Console download service. While not all of the Sega Genesis and TurboGrafx games will be offered, the "best of them" will be.[13] This gives the companies a pool of over 1000 Sega Genesis games to choose from. [14] Besides Sega and Hudson, Satoru Iwata stated that "a number of different publishers are now interested in participating in this virtual console system".[15] Moreover, while the gameplay will be the same for all of the retro titles offered via the Virtual Console, Nintendo has stated that some of the games may be improved with sharper graphics or better framerates.[16] In addition, gamers may be able to download games that were not originally released in their region, and some multiplayer games may be playable online, if it is technically possible.[17] The Virtual Console service will not be used exclusively for retro games, however. Nintendo has stated that they are interested in using the service to distribute new, original content.[10]

According to a Japanese press release, "all downloaded games will be stored on the 512 [MB] flash memory built into the system. To prevent illegal copying, downloaded games will feature a proprietary DRM system."[18]

I like playing old games and there's something about having every Zelda and Metroid game available on the same platform for a small price. Plus, adding the Genesis titles is a big time bonus.\

And lastly, the controller. The subject of many a debate and something certain gamers are heralding as "the end of Nintendo as we know it!!!"

The Nintendo Revolution controller sets aside the traditional controller seen in other mainstream consoles in an attempt to appeal to a larger audience. The controller is shaped like a television remote control and is held with one hand. Due to its symmetrical nature, the Revolution's controller is able to be used by either hand, unlike other controllers.

The controller is also able to sense motion; a sensor placed near the television allows the computer to sense the controller's position in three-dimensional space. Other sensors in the controller itself allow it to sense its tilt and yaw. This allows players to mimic actual game actions, such as swinging a sword or using a flashlight, instead of simply pushing buttons. An early marketing video showed actors miming such actions as fishing, cooking, drumming, conducting an orchestra, shooting a gun, sword fighting, performing dental surgery, and what seems to be, a game of Super Mario Bros. with one handed play.[7]

The controller also features an expansion port on its underside which will allow various attachments to be added to the controller. Nintendo has revealed one of these attachments to be a unit which features an analog stick and 2 trigger buttons. It will connect to the main Revolution controller via a short cord, and its appearance while connected to the main controller has led it to become dubbed "The Nunchaku". Nintendo has stated the aforementioned "Nunchaku" add-on may be bundled with the Revolution console.

Nintendo has also announced a controller "shell" which will resemble a traditional game controller called the "Classic-Style Expansion Controller". The Revolution "remote" will fit inside this shell which will allow gamers to play games using a traditional controller while retaining the "remote"'s motion sensitivity. According to Satoru Iwata, it is meant for playing "the existing games, virtual console games, and multi-platform games".[2]

Despite the controller's similarity to lightguns which are only compatible with standard-definition cathode ray tube televisions, Nintendo has stated the Revolution and its controller will be compatible with all televisions including digital projectors.

Nintendo developer Shigeru Miyamoto, before exiting the stage of Japan's 2005 Digital Interactive Entertainment Conference, stated that "there are still secrets to this controller, and these will be revealed next year."

See, I like that the controller is able to be read in 3D space around the room. That allows for the more creative designers to go into more creative directions and the fact that you can do real world physical things with the controller (swinging it like a sword which affects how you swing it in the game) also means that games are going to be more interactive. Which, for me, is heaven. I bought the DS and got Trauma Center, which uses the touch screen for the surgery you perform in the game, and I just dig that kind of "hands on" gameplay (also, Trauma Center is supposed to be one of the initial launch games for the system).

I don't know, I'm kind of looking forward to this system myself.

I like the fact that Nintendo is trying something different with the Controller, however, I play games when I just want to relax, I can't see myself waving that crap around to play a game when I just want to chill. Maybe they'll use it in a great way, I just don't see myself liking it too much.

I like the fact that Nintendo is trying something different with the Controller, however, I play games when I just want to relax, I can't see myself waving that crap around to play a game when I just want to chill. Maybe they'll use it in a great way, I just don't see myself liking it too much.

I don't know, I could see it adding some hitting depth to baseball games. That would be cool as hell to have a hitting mode where you have to actually swing.

I don't know, I could see it adding some hitting depth to baseball games. That would be cool as hell to have a hitting mode where you have to actually swing.

HomeRun Derby.

It's all about the lightsaber duels! :notworthy