Focus: Luring the Marlins

Ralph

Focus: Luring the Marlins

Web Posted: 04/23/2006 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

Who is he trying to fool?

Do I understand correctly? County Judge Nelson Wolff has given the Marlins baseball club a deadline?

After the obvious news that our television market is not suitable to bring a team, Wolff gives the owners a deadline? Who is he trying to fool?

Oh, yes, of course, I knew that. He is trying to cover his political behind after the fact. Wolff went off chasing a loser dream and now has to huff and puff to look tough in front of the little people who vote.

This is a good reason not to name public projects after living lug nuts like Wolff. Let's rename the existing baseball stadium Fool's Gold Field and be done with Wolff. Do not vote for any incumbent!

?Admin Nolan Stewart

S.A. ready for Big Show

For those of us who truly love baseball, we know a major league team will make it. But as for football fans, it is obvious they don't want baseball to hurt their chance of getting a football team.

The latest example was Stephen Hampton's letter "First, fill Missions seats" (April 13). How can you compare a AA team to Major League Baseball and the names that follow: the Astros, Rangers, Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, Craig Biggio, Alex Rodriguez, Randy Johnson, Ichiro Suzuki and any Martinez?

The Spurs happened because we got them. Years and years of minor league baseball is getting sour when we know we can move to the next level. If you look at the economics, the number of games, seats and schedule, it is all about equal, and baseball is the friendliest funfest of sport for the entire family. Remember, football fans, we have had minor league football teams and they all failed.

So if you are a baseball lover, don't give us your negative opinion when your ducks are not on the pond and the tater hasn't left the sling (baseball terminology). Minor league is good entertainment, but it is not the Big Show. Any baseball lover knows that.

?Richard J. Alvarado

Lots of empty stadium seats

When the television sportscasts are on, I notice the stands at baseball games have very few people in them.

Since they now have very few spectators, why in the world do Nelson Wolff and others want to bring another baseball team to San Antonio?

It makes no sense.

?Loretta Cunningham

Not such an economic boon

If, as Nelson Wolff and Phil Hardberger would have us believe, a professional sports team is such an economic advantage to the city, why would South Florida let the Marlins get away? Perhaps they reached a different conclusion.

The major cost to any professional team is salary. So off the "bat," 35 percent of that money is gone from the city as income tax. Most of the players, with notable exceptions, i.e., the Admiral, will not remain in the city after leaving the team, so they do not invest in the city, and the money earned leaves with them.

If the money people spend attending sporting events ends up being spent on other entertainment within the city, that money will likely stay longer within the area, actually contributing more to the city economy.

As to "economic studies," they are simply guesses as to what the economy will be 10 or 20 years down the road. And have you ever seen a study published that didn't "prove" what the person who commissioned the study wanted to prove?

?Bill Kuester

Address citizens' real needs

County Judge Nelson Wolff's exasperation with the Marlins is terribly misplaced. For what craziness would the county consider spending $200 million-plus for another stadium given the needs of this county?

Do the decision-makers not read the newspaper? Have they forgotten the articles about the homeless, lack of affordable housing and health insurance, minimal mental health services, street repair and Councilwoman Patti Radle's sidewalk initiative?

The list of real needs in San Antonio is long. The city and county, in confronting their budgets every year, grapple with these needs. Shouldn't we expect our leaders, instead of spending their energies chasing pastimes, to address the real needs of the working poor, which affect lifetimes?

?Stan Drezek

In the job description?

When does Judge Nelson Wolff get time to do the job he was hired to do?

Looks like Bexar County could use a full-time county judge.

?Don Roseland, La Vernia

http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/letter...s.1bd7ed83.html

very interesting...good point about wolffy at the end...seriously...where does a judge get all this time to wine and dine a potential franchise relocator...but the part about the economics i dont get...because while the clear beneficiaries of pro sports will always be the owners and players...but if the cities didnt get rewarded fianancially, then why even have sports...i mean come on...come on...tell me boston doesnt make money off the sox, or pittsburgh off the pirates and so on...i mean if you want to get into the nitty gritty...there are usually tolls around stadiums, and when the drunks leave the stadiums, the cops pick em up and so on...so basically...i feel the marlins wont go to SA more because of the tv deal than any other reason

There's some fairly interesting statements in there.

What most people in San Antonio are not understanding is the economic benefit is not directly related to the team. A second major league team in San Antonio would be a great boon to drawing and retaining major businesses. In fact, it's businesses that are pushing this drive. AT&T, Valero, etc, are asking San Antonio to bring in another team. It's all about the luxuries necessary to appease big wig CEO's and company presidents.

When it comes to the actual budget, many of those things that are "needed" cannot, by state law, be provided by the county and must be funded by the city. For the county to be involved, legislation would have to be passed in Austin.

Off hand I don't know about County officials, but I doubt it's much different, but elected City officials are all PART TIME. As in they get paid less than $1,000/yr to work about 8 hours a week.

The County Judge is not "a judge". He's a elected member of county administration only. No judicial duties.

fyatuk Posted Yesterday, 08:06 PM: What most people in San Antonio are not understanding is the economic benefit is not directly related to the team

I agree. But, I wouldn't say "most", some yes but not "most". Every city has that fraction that will oppose anything, even if it's mean good economics. Do you recall the Tax group that opposed building the ATT center, and so......

County officials are elected to fulltime positions, not unlike the City of SA.

I agree. But, I wouldn't say "most", some yes but not "most". Every city has that fraction that will oppose anything, even if it's mean good economics. Do you recall the Tax group that opposed building the ATT center, and so......

County officials are elected to fulltime positions, not unlike the City of SA.

It's too bad the ISD killed the Longhorn Quarry location for the AT&T center. That would have been a much better spot than Freeman area.

Uhh, I think there's a glitch in that last sentence though. I don't think that "not" should be there. City of SA officials are not full time. They are asked to work basically every Thursday, everything else is unpaid overtime so to speak. That's why a city councilman gets paid a MAX of $1k a year and the Mayor a MAX of $4k (depending on how many meetings they go to). That's also why there are so few decent councilmen. Have to be rich be able to do the job...

But I'll take you're word on county officials. I haven't read the pertinent sections in the TX Constitution to know for sure.

My bad, "not" is a glitch, I agree councilperson are PT. I worked as an Auditor for Bexar County in the Mid-'80, and know for sure they are fulltime elected officals.

Thx,

fyatuk Posted Today, 09:06 AM: But I'll take you're word on county officials. I haven't read the pertinent sections in the TX Constitution to know for sure.

When you say/write TX Constitution, I can't speak to the other 251 counties, just Bexar. By the way, I like how you have replied in this forum, with objectivity from both sides (SA/SFL). The same for rferry. I was raised in SA, but Born and, lived in Sfl for many yrs. I have follow the Marlins since inception. However, a Dallas Cowboy, and SPURS fan forever.

Have a good one.

My bad, "not" is a glitch, I agree councilperson are PT. I worked as an Auditor for Bexar County in the Mid-'80, and know for sure they are fulltime elected officals.

Thx,

When you say/write TX Constitution, I can't speak to the other 251 counties, just Bexar. By the way, I like how you have replied in this forum, with objectivity from both sides (SA/SFL). The same for rferry. I was raised in SA, but Born and, lived in Sfl for many yrs. I have follow the Marlins since inception. However, a Dallas Cowboy, and SPURS fan forever.

Have a good one.

Cool. I'm just saying that county governments are organized by the state constitution, all operating on the same guidelines basically. Slight differences, like there is one county in Texas where the County Judge is an actual judge instead of just an administrator.

And I pride myself on objectivity. Don't get me wrong, I get my hopes up sometimes, but I don't post on message boards about my hopes. That's what my blog is for ;)

besides, I know how to behave. I'm a member of a Saints board too :D And really the only San Antonian that's liked there...

Personally I've lost interest in the Cowboys and would LOVE to have another team that I could at least watch the games for regularly (without having to pay for NFL Network), but there's not beating the Spurs in my heart anyway.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.