Andy Jenkins

He sure did an admirable job replacing Hayes. That OPS isn't anything to write home about, but regardless...With Sanchez already supposedly getting time at C in Jupiter, AND with Hayes due for a promotion (although likely not until next year), Andy will be in G-boro for a bit.

Then again, this is based on what I know about the other catchers, because I know nothing about him.

He sure did an admirable job replacing Hayes. That OPS isn't anything to write home about, but regardless...With Sanchez already supposedly getting time at C in Jupiter, AND with Hayes due for a promotion (although likely not until next year), Andy will be in G-boro for a bit.

Then again, this is based on what I know about the other catchers, because I know nothing about him.

I didn't know Sanchez could play catcher. Just adds to his value.

Actually he doesn't...And that's the problem.

:mischief

Actually he doesn't...And that's the problem.

:mischief

So maybe when they realize that he doesn't, Andy gets the call! :lol

By the way, Hayes played tonight and homered.

With both Langley (if he makes the jump) and Hatcher set to hit Greensboro next year, most of our catchers will move up a level ready or not. That means Davis goes to Carolina, and Hayes will be the guy in Jupiter.

Jenkins has done okay, he had a good start to the year. I really wouldnt rate him as much of a prospect though due to a lack of consistent power, and no real positive defensive position. His OBP has been ok though so he should stay in the system a while, and players can always develop late.

Like I said a few weeks ago he's a fun player to watch play, but will never make it to the majors. Although you never know like Doakle said he could develop late. Has played a bunch of 3B this spring/summer, but with Jon Fulton playing a lot better in the past month or two he hasn't seen as much time there. He manages to get in the lineup almost every day though.

Here is some info posted on the Hoppers website on Jenkins

VERSATILE JENKINS DRIVES IN RUNS WHEREVER WHERE HE PLAYS

July 28, 2006

Andy Jenkins readily admits he doesn?t have the neatest locker in the Greensboro Grasshoppers clubhouse.

Not only does it contain the usual personal and professional items, it?s also stuffed with a catcher?s mitt, first baseman?s glove, infielder?s glove and outfielder?s glove. The first three are for game use; the outfielder?s glove is for shagging fly balls during batting practice.

?I?ve got about two of each, so it?s definitely a messy locker,? Jenkins said with a laugh. ?I just take my bag out there to the dugout and I?m ready to play any position. When I come to the field I?m not really surprised where I?m playing each day.?

Jenkins? versatility has been crucial to the injury-plagued Hoppers, who have often played with a short roster this season. Manager Brandon Hyde plugs him into the lineup at catcher, first base or third base. If Jenkins needs a day off, he?s likely to spend it as the designated hitter, which helps rest his legs. He?s played in 95 of the team?s first 102 games.

?He?s a warrior and he wants to play every day so I try to find a spot for him in the lineup,? Hyde said. ?I need to do a better job of giving him a day off now and then. He?s been our best hitter all year and it?s hard to get him out of the lineup.?

Growing up in Salem, Ore., Jenkins pitched and played third base and shortstop. In community college, he got his first taste of catching and scouts told him that might be his pro position. Moving on to Oregon State, which had an established catcher, Jenkins played first base as a junior. He moved behind the plate as a senior.

Drafted by the Florida Marlins in the 11 th round last summer, Jenkins played in 48 games for the Hoppers, mostly at first and third. He hit .220 with three homers and 20 RBIs. This season, when catcher Brett Hayes was hurt early in spring training, Jenkins opened the season as the regular catcher.

?I thought he did a great job with guys that aren?t easy to catch,? Hyde said, referring to the four 19-year-old starters with different styles. ?He just wills his way back there. He can improve in a lot of areas; however, he?s determined to do things right and do them well, and that?s what he does.?

Hyde said Jenkins? versatility will be important because it gives a manager so many ways to get him in the lineup.Jenkins said he enjoys all three spots believes he can handle any or all of them at higher levels. If he had to choose one, it would be catcher.

?I like the way the game flows and I like working with the pitchers,? he said. ?It?s kind of my style.?

Ultimately, it?s his bat that will likely keep Jenkins advancing in the system. Through July 27, he was hitting .281 and leading the team with 58 RBIs. What makes the RBI number impressive is that he?s done it with just four homers. His batting average with runners in scoring position is .404, remarkable after four months of the season.

?You can really judge a hitter, not by their batting average, but by what they do with men in scoring position,? said John Mallee, the Marlins? hitting coordinator. ?He doesn?t try to do too much; he takes what the defense gives him. If the infield is back, he?ll hit a ground ball to shortstop or second base to get the run in. Other guys swing from their heels and swing long and don?t get the run in.

?With men in scoring position the pitcher has a tendency to pitch away from the hitter. He stays on the ball really well and lets the ball get to him. That approach is successful in those situations.?

Mallee believes Jenkins will add some home run power. Jenkins, who leads the team with 19 doubles, thought he?d have more than four homers but isn?t concerned about that number as long as he keeps driving runners home.

With men in scoring position, Jenkins said, his focus is better than an at-bat with nobody on base and two men out.

?I?m just looking for a good pitch to find the barrel,? he said. ?I?m looking early in the count, being real aggressive, making sure I make something happen rather than punching out or putting a lazy swing on something. It?s staying within yourself, staying with your strength, not going outside your approach, putting a good swing on it and hopefully finding a hole.?

Ultimately, Mallee said, if Jenkins keeps hitting the Marlins will find a position for him.

?As long as I play hard and prepare to play any position each day,? Jenkins said, ?I?ll find myself somewhere in that lineup and continue to drive in runs and be a leader on the team. That?s what I think I can provide.?

And no one will care how messy his locker is.

Sports writer Bill Hass has observed and covered minor league baseball in Greensboro since 1979