The good old days...

Accord

Those were the days. I still remember the 1997 WS parties ("I LOVE YOU MIAMI").

I don't care what anybody says, but that 2003 team was about as special as they come. You read these boards now, and nobody seems to think JP was any good, or Lowell was any good, or Urbina was any good, etc., etc...but those guys were huge when they needed to be. I understand the need to get rid of them, but I still don't like the "what have you done for me lately" mentality that surrounds these boards sometimes.

I hope we can keep some of the guys we have now for awhile, because - if we do it right (particularly in light of the irrational FA market), we could be special for a long time.

but I still don't like the "what have you done for me lately" mentality that surrounds these boards sometimes.

More like forced cost consciousness/realism.

But, whatever...

Honestly, do you troll around the forums just to pick fights? You selectively left out the entire portion of my quote, "I understand the need to get rid of them," which preceeded what you quoted. Just to clarify, although I think 99% of the boards would understand what that meant, it means I understood the fiscal realities of keeping them. It still doesn't mean everyone should act like JP wasn't absolutely a gamechanger in 2003. Or, that Mike Lowell was a consistent quality player for several years for the Fish until the wheels fell off after his injury in 2003.

And for the record, I think everyone can agree that nobody really knows the true "fiscal reality" for this franchise. The reality is that we could have re-signed EVERY player from our 2003 team and still maintained a payroll lower than probably 75% of MLB. Maybe that would really have been too high for Loria to spend (and, I am well aware that you can't look at yearly payroll in a bubble when your owner has reportedly lost millions for years). And, maybe our current roster has more potential than any Marlins team. But, it doesn't mean our 2003 team wasn't special, and that everyone should start dismissing their talent because the owner couldn't afford to keep them.

Those were the days. I still remember the 1997 WS parties ("I LOVE YOU MIAMI").

I don't care what anybody says, but that 2003 team was about as special as they come. You read these boards now, and nobody seems to think JP was any good, or Lowell was any good, or Urbina was any good, etc., etc...but those guys were huge when they needed to be. I understand the need to get rid of them, but I still don't like the "what have you done for me lately" mentality that surrounds these boards sometimes.

I hope we can keep some of the guys we have now for awhile, because - if we do it right (particularly in light of the irrational FA market), we could be special for a long time.

I agree. That team continually proved everyone wrong. I remember watching Jim Rome after Game 3 of the 2003 World Series and he was ranting about how the Series was now over and the Fish couldn't come back. Talking about how the Yankees would pounce. What's funny is they came back so many times in so many situations that how could you not think they could come back? You think beating Wood/Prior in very hostile territory in Games 6/7 wasn't enough. I love that team because it seemed like no matter what they proved it was always still Fish/fans against the rest of the world. That's fine with me.