Injured Ramirez won't resume Winter Ball

Mauer7

MIAMI -- The competitor in Hanley Ramirez wanted to keep playing winter ball, despite a recent shoulder injury. The Marlins, however, had other ideas.

On Tuesday night, the Marlins denied Ramirez's request to resume playing for Licey in the Dominican Winter League.

Ramirez strained his left shoulder during a fall while running the bases in a game on Dec. 27, and he returned to South Florida and was examined by Marlins physician Dr. Dan Kanell.

Ramirez is currently rehabbing the shoulder in the Dominican. He had tweaked that same shoulder last May, while swinging through a changeup in a game at Atlanta. The injury is not considered serious, and Ramirez is expected to be ready when Marlins' position players report to Spring Training on Feb. 19 in Jupiter, Fla.

On Tuesday night, Ramirez told reporters in the Dominican that he wanted to play this month with the Licey Tigers, who are in the playoffs.

"I am going to call [the Marlins] to get permission to play," Ramirez said. "I think that my playing here in the Dominican Republic helped me win Rookie of the Year, so that's why I want to try to come back."

Ramirez spoke later that night with Marlins general manager Admin Beinfest, who put to rest the idea of the defending National League Rookie of the Year risking further injury in Dominican Winter League competition.

Ramirez batted .292 for the Marlins in 2006, with 17 homers, 59 RBIs, 119 runs scored and 51 stolen bases.

Joe Frisaro is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

link