Trance music?

Lee

Anyone listen to it? I'm just starting to get into it and would appreciate some suggestions. I downloaded a couple mixes a member at clubsi.com posted and I'm lovin it. Great stuff.

http://forums.clubsi.com/ubbthreads.php/ub...r/933593/page/5

I don't even know the differences between the different types of electronic music, but I know I like trance. Whoever can fill me in on some basic differences, you'd rule.

Anyone listen to it? I'm just starting to get into it and would appreciate some suggestions. I downloaded a couple mixes a member at clubsi.com posted and I'm lovin it. Great stuff.

http://forums.clubsi.com/ubbthreads.php/ub...r/933593/page/5

I don't even know the differences between the different types of electronic music, but I know I like trance. Whoever can fill me in on some basic differences, you'd rule.

Ok. There are MANY sub-genres of Dance music. Tracks that fall under Trance are very uptempo (usually 130 BPM and higher) and don't contain any real instument samples as oppossed to say, House music. I would consider artists such as Armin Van Buren and Syrian to be "trance" acts although the line is often blurred. Trance music generally has less vocals than other genres of Dance. Above and Beyond is a good Trance act. For classic trance check out the band Orbital and their track "Halcyon On + On + On".

House music also has many sub-genres, French House (Daft Punk, Stardust), Electro-House (also known as simply "Electro".) Goldfrapp would be considered an Electro act. One common facet of House music is the "4 on the floor" drum beat. House music derived out of the death of disco. Disco music reached its peak with the release of Saturday Night Fever and then the invevitable backlash ocurred and the music moved back into the underground. People began having parties in wherehouses and that's how the term "house" came about.

Progressive House is House music but it uses the new technology (and its wealth of cool new sounds). I recommend acts such as Thomas Penton and Cedric Gervais.

And there are many more sub-genres of House music.

If your new to Dance music here are some of my faves.

Any remix done by Stuart Price or his alias, Jacques Lu Cont.

Gabriel and Dresden

DJ Tracy Young

Roger Sanchez

Mylo

Daft Punk (One More Time, Around The World, and Human After All are excellent tracks)

And as I mentioned, Thomas Penton and Cedric Gervais.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can answer any more questions for you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.