Inside Dish: Tons of Marlins-related stuff

ultimopain

The Blue Jays offered Alex Rios to the Marlins, who desperately need a center fielder, but Toronto was unable to pry away LHP Scott Olsen (their preferred target) or any other member of the game's best young rotation.

Wonder if that part's true...

With our depth of starting pitching between here & the minors, you'd think at least Nolasco might be available for that deal, but hard to say whether that would've done it for the Jays.

Interesting stuff on Upton too.

I'd consider our rotation being Johnson, Olsen, Sanchez and Willis, with the 5th spot and Nolasco's role undetermined. He's certainly the natural choice for the spot, but there's a couple of months left before the season, and it would appear Beinfest and crew are still exploring their options.

That is the way I look at it as well, and Beinfest is making the right move holding onto the big four this offseason.

As far as Rios goes, I do wonder about those who think he would be such a great fit in CF. With his frame, he is best suited for where he is right now ? a corner outfield position. Especially when he fills out more like I think he will. He could probably be a slightly below average to passable CF in 2007, or good by Marlins standards, but I would have concerns about his ability to play CF long term.

I find this Beradino blurb interesting:

"Rios is seeking $3.1 million in arbitration, and the Jays are offering $2 million. If Rios wins, his salary could make him more likely to be dealt before opening day. No matter what happens with Rios, the Jays will talk about trading productive LF Reed Johnson. He is seeking $3.6 million in arbitration; the club is offering $2.5 million"

That would argue for the Marlins to wait on any deal involving Rios and see how much the Jays want to dump Rios' contract. I doubt that they will get so desperate, but they might be willing to accept something not involving the big four.

Just think for a second...Marlins on the good end of a salary dump.

Yeah, I chuckled, too.

That would argue for the Marlins to wait on any deal involving Rios and see how much the Jays want to dump Rios' contract. I doubt that they will get so desperate, but they might be willing to accept something not involving the big four.

Very fair analysis. I don't think if would kill us to deal JJ (I know you are his super fan compared to the rest of us), but waiting for his arbitration is probably be a better course of action then just doing a deal now. I really like how Toronto potentially lines up with us with that AAA catcher.

Just think for a second...Marlins on the good end of a salary dump.

Yeah, I chuckled, too.

And they say nothing new ever happens in baseball...the irony of it :D

Very fair analysis. I don't think if would kill us to deal JJ (I know you are his super fan compared to the rest of us), but waiting for his arbitration is probably be a better course of action then just doing a deal now. I really like how Toronto potentially lines up with us with that AAA catcher.

Acquiring someone going to arbitration this time of the season puts a strain on the relationship right from the get go unless the numbers are fairly close or the new team already has made up its mind to live with the player's higher request. Waiting certainly seems the wise course of action, although truth be told, I'm not enamored with him, and won't be until he shows he can he be productive for a full season.

There's lots of ways of looking at this, I'm truly ambivalent.