Our Nation's Capital

yenta

My family and I will be in Washington, DC July 26th through the 31st.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where to go, good eats places? I've heard it's very expensive to eat in the city.

We'd like to do the whole National Treasure tour and see the government/historical/Smithsonian thing. Anything else we need to know/do?

Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Don't be afraid to suggest- we're all mishpucha here! :-)

if you're going to the National Archives, be prepared for a long wait. I went up on a school trip and waited 2+ hours, my neighbors went up recently and didn't go because the line was bending all the way around the block.

The mall has some good food, a lot of restaurants are in it.

The monuments are cool..

The money place was fun.

The white house tour (not sure if there is one anymore) was very short, 2-3 rooms...not worth the hassle.

My absolute favorite museum in washington (and maybe my favorite museum anywhere) is the Air and Space museum. Haven't been there for a few years, but when I went I loved it. So much cool stuff.

If I'm not mistake aren't the museums in Washington free? If so definetly check them all out. Can't go wrong with museums. The archive is cool, but you can't really get a feel for the magnitude of everything in there when it's all so sterile and you are just whisked through.

If you can, spend a day in Baltimore. The aquarium there is probably the best I've ever been to. That place is absolutely amazing, and (at least last summer) they had a spectacular forest recreation on the outside that had to be seen. So much to see there. I highly reccomend a day in the inner harbor.

Yeah, Baltimore wouldn't be a bad day trip. There is a train service that runs between DC and Baltimore exclusively. The fare is $7 one way per person. The Orioles are also playing the Yankees at Camden Yards at the end of July, I believe. That's always fun.

If you need insight on Charm City, I'm your guy.

Can I just say I love going to Baltimore. My uncle used to live up there so I'd go once every few years and I loved it everytime. They've really made downtown into a nice place to go. Of course, there's some crappy places, but overall I liked it alot. I love all of those big old Northeaster cities (Providence, Boston, Pittsburgh, Philly, Baltimore). They've got something that no other cities in the country can touch, though I can't put my finger on what it quite is. I think it's just that there seems to be a mix of small town and big city in one area that I like alot.

The holocaust thing was disapointing, but still worth going to, if you've never been. They have a traincar that was used to transport prisoners to Aushwitz, hundreds of old suitcases belonging to the Jews...

the national indian thing was DREADFUL. Don't eat in the food court in the muesuem, unless you want wild buffalo eyes, or moose rectum, or anything else off the value menu.

Camden Yards is gorgeous, if you can, definetly catch a game there.

We've already gotten the maps of the Metrorail line and seen where the momuments and museum stops are. We are actually staying in Gaithersburg and the Marriott has a free shuttle to the Shady Grove station. From the trip planner function, I've figured out it will take approx 45 minutes from Shady Grove into the Mall area. That's not bad. My kids have never been on a subway, so it should be fun. Plus, it's really cheap to get around. We'll actually have 4 whole sightseeing days there. The other two are travel days and not worth schlepping around to see one thing (in my opinion). When we get there on Thursday early afternoon, I figure we'll check in, settle down and then devote the rest of the evening to the Air and Space Museum.

El penguino, Thanks for the tip about the Holocaust museum. I was thinking about it but now it's off the grid. Besides, I've been to the one in Miami Beach.

I was thinking about going to either Philadelphia or Williamsburg but either way, it's a three hour trip. I just don't think that with 4 sightseeing days, I can afford to drop 6 hours travelling time. Another trip, perhaps.

Since it's the 4 of us, we're going to try to eat a huge breakfast and eat one meal in the city. We can have dinner at the hotel or the surrounding areas near the hotel. I'm sure they'll be cheaper.

We'll see how the sightseeing goes. If we can finish everything in 3 full days, we can make the side trip to Baltimore. Thanks for the suggestion. I've only seen Major League Baseball in Dolphin Stadium and Tropicana Field. I've never been to a real baseball stadium.

Good call on the Metro...it's the way to go...There used to be a weekly pass for the metro. Not sure if they still do that but that may be something to look into.

As for Musuems...Air and Space and the Natural History museum are my personal favorites.

If you can get to the zoo, that is definitely a good time. That's just a few blocks off another metro stop (can't remember which one)

Like Penguino said, there really isn't many 'must-go' restaurants in DC, but there are a few good ones in Georgetown. I haven't been there in a few years, but once I remember the names of the few I've been to, I'll get back here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.