Ricky Hatton Vs Jose Luis Castillo

Rune

Ah, it's so refreshing to see an absolutely world class fight be broadcast on HBO rather than being put on for PPV.

But this fight should be a classic. You have the mexican brawler Jose Luis Castillo who's the only man to give Floyd Mayweather a fight where Castillo could have been the legitimate winner(the judges gave it to Floyd) and he was in the best boxing bout in 20 years with the late great Chico Corrales. Now he's continuing his move up to 140 against one of the division's best and brightest stars in Ricky Hatton.

Hatton, at times could be exciting, at other times not so much with his grab and rip style that wears opponents down as it did against the legend Kostya Tsyzu. So far his two trips to America have not been the blow outs we expected but the man is still a guy you have to watch and still in my book is a top 10 pound for pound guy.

I'm going to take Hatton in this fight. If Jose was three years younger and had one less war on his belt, I'd take him but the fact is he may very well be a fighter in decline fighting a guy who's a natural at 140 while Jose will be putting on extra weight that I'm not sure he's going to carry well against the rough Ricky Hatton. I think it goes to the scorecards and Ricky wins a close but deserved decesion in an all out war.

If you're a casual boxing fan who wants to see a great fight, this is the one for you. Two world class fighters who only know how to go forward, and it's not on PPV.

BTW, the fight is tonight at 10 as mentioned above on HBO.

This fight could very well be a classic and is defiantly worth checking out if you're a casual observer. These guys are both come forward and rip type of guys.

Is there anything not to love about Ricky Hatton? Sure some will try to take away from him and say it was a shot JLC, and they are right but Ricky still put on a great performance tonight a performance that a very good Herman Ngoujdo couldn't pull against the same opponent in the same state of his career.

Anyway, Ricky was great tonight and proved once again he's still the same fighter who beat the great Kostya Tszyu. If his performance wasn't enough the post fight interview was. First, a nice moment with Chico corrales's wife, and then the greatest quote of all time on Floyd Mayweather...

"Well all I'll say is this fight went what? 4 rounds? Well I think you got more action in those four rounds than in Floyd Mayweather's entire career"

Ah, I have rekindled my love for the Hitman.

Is there anything not to love about Ricky Hatton?

Only the fact that he doesn't fight real fighters in their prime and then will come to America to take on fights that we all know the outcome ahead of time. He called out Mayweather, now let's see how serious he really is.

Is there anything not to love about Ricky Hatton?

Only the fact that he doesn't fight real fighters in their prime and then will come to America to take on fights that we all know the outcome ahead of time. He called out Mayweather, now let's see how serious he really is.

It's a product of his enviroment. I know you are a huge Roy Jones fan, is it not any different? He didn't have to go over to a foreign land and fight the absolute best so he didn't. He stuck to David Telesco, and Glen Kelly in America, because it would have been to big of a risk to go over to Germany and fight the best fighter around him which was Michalshefki(I know I butchered that) European fighters can make plenty money fighting fringe guys and the only time they'll fight the top guys are when either a fellow countryman gets hot or an American needs to beat him to establish himself. Before Jeff Lacy, Joe Calzaghe's biggest fight was Robin Reid.

As for the JLC fight, most people should have known that he's a shot fighter but it wasn't a fight where everyone knew the outcome well in advance. Their was plenty of a lobby who had JLC in this fight. Were Hatton's other two fights basically gimme's? Yeah, they were, Luis Collazo is a good regional fighter who can take out the other guys in his region of the country but the fact is his biggest win before this fight was a tough fight against Jose Antonio Rivera who is a nice guy but nothing more than a solid fighter. And yeah, you could hold that against Ricky.

But some will say all they want that JLC is a shot fighter and they are right but Ricky was still excellent last night and he's finally got the buzz around him again that he had after the Kostya Tszyu fight. He's not a stupid guy, he acknowledges that if he goes out and pulls out the Luis Collazo's of the world for his next fight he'll be back to where he was prior to last night.

I understand the financial sense in staying in England, but it's a little different with Roy and Ricky. Roy was clearly the best in the world at his weight, there is debate over Ricky. Also, hometown decisions are not prevalent in America like other countries, which is a big time reason fighters don't like leaving the U.S.