Barry Bonds and The Mitchell Report

Puma

I'm 99.9 % sure Barry Bonds had a lot written about him and his involvement with steroids in the Mitchell Report.

Why has the media not brought this up?

Why hasn't Bonds said anything about it?

I just kinda find it odd that there has been no attention focused to the game's Alltime HR king. We hear about Roger Clemens and others, but nobody ever says anything about Bonds. I mean yeah theres that court meeting Bonds has set up on perjery charges, but other than that...not much word about him being named on the report.

Is it because we all knew it was obvious he was on steroids?

Is it because he knows he's guilty?

or Is it because he's ignoring everybody and pretending like it isn't happening?

thoughts?

Isn't he currently in court for his perjury charges. I am sure the media is staying away since he is in an ongoing case much more serious than the mitchell report. He gets charged in that he is officially done.

BB TShirts

that shirt makes me go :banghead

just out of curiosity... if you could write it, how would the footnote that this asterisk is referring to read to you, dgreco?

I know you didn't ask me, but I'd like to reply to that...

It would depend obviously if he was proven guilty of perjury, if he is, it gets the asterisk, if not, he can have the record due to "innocent until proven guilty"

756*

*This player has used/been under suspicion of using performance enhancing drugs to provide advantage not provided to predecessors.

The counter argument is that some pitchers used them too... *shrugs*

Excellent footnote. I just don't agree with the need for an asterisk.

i don't think barry had a competitive advantage over anybody else in the league during this time period except for being more talented than them. I think being knowledgeable about the history of baseball and recognizing this as the "steroid era" would be satisfactory rather than feeling the need to brand each individual player's record broken during this time period - as you could contest certain cy youngs, batting champs, home run totals, etc... could have been influenced by steroids. Which would result in records needing to be re-evaluated on a case by case basis, which in my opinion would be a waste of time; not to mention completely annoying.

Rather than branding records with an asterisk, I'd be more than content with just moving on and putting our focus on improved testing and preventing this from continuing. Screw the past, the future should be our only concern. Unless you have a hard on for serving up some cold justice to these records that are only up for interpretation.

The only problem with that is... when exactly do you say the steroid era started... because if you say Mid 1990s... then Bonds play trans-era, which does matter, a lot, because if he started off playing in a mostly clean era then "caught up" so to speak... then his records are in conflict with the "purer" records... it's obvious that the only reason this garners so much attention is because it's arguably baseball's #1 record... not like, a single season batting champ... I think it should be very carefully evaluated...

which is why i don't think speculation on the matter should result in any record being marked with an asterisk unless, as you said earlier, we have concrete evidence that he did it. Which is the main reason I feel like this: :banghead when I see crap like this shirt, or when I see asshats like Mark Ecko defacing baseball history to market his clothing line. If Bonds is not found guilty for perjury, and no evidence proving he took steroids is presented, his baseball is already scarred based on pure speculation.

Honestly though, who cares about what a T-Shirt or a Hat or whatever say? The baseball is far more reasonable to be frustrated over... but clothing/accessories are just humorous expressions see; First Amendment... also, as much as I may even be uncomfortable with it, he bought the ball and has every right to do whatever he wants with it... *shrugs again*

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.