AZ Republic Piece on Gonzo

this was from this mornings paper - some of the quotes mirror the article from the miami papers not too long ago (which were also reprinted out here) - the guy is still very popular in the valley

i was very skeptical of the signing, mainly because of how he handled his days with the "baby backs" - but it seems now reality has set in and he's willing to evolve to this stage of his career - i've been impressed with him

MIAMI - Luis Gonzalez isn't far removed from his days in Arizona. He still keeps in touch with several current Diamondbacks, exchanging text messages recently with manager Bob Melvin and pitcher Brandon Webb.

But he recognizes how different his role is with his latest team, the Florida Marlins, and sounds as if he has embraced it.

"With time and age and different things, you realize your value is a little bit different to certain clubs," Gonzalez, 40, said. "I still enjoy running out there and playing, and I'm trying to certainly do what I'm capable of doing on the field. But at the same time I know what my value is to this club, and it's mostly in here in the clubhouse."

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbac...bnotes0522.html

and another one today

Lou Monaco, the 82-year old parking lot attendant at Chase Field. Lou is straight out of Ebbets Field, and over the years, he and Gonzalez have become the most unlikely of friends.

Recently, Gonzalez bought Monaco state-of-the-art hearing aids. This time, he flew the octogenarian to Florida for the series against the Diamondbacks. Just imagine how Monaco felt the past few days, staring at the beach from a Miami high-rise.

"What a guy," Monaco said from the airport. "I've been following baseball for 73 years, and I've never met anyone close to him in terms of friendship and generosity. I could open a store in the mall with all the stuff he's given me. The guy can't do enough for me."

Priceless. And now, it's time for the Diamondbacks to do something similar for Gonzalez, like a corner office at the ballpark whenever he likes.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/DanBickley/24193