Gary Sheffield retires

Hammerhead

Just had to add that he has my favorite batting stance of all time.

He did exactly what you're taught not to do and it worked for him. :lol

Who chooses which team a player will go in as? And how? And why does the BHOF care so much that they don't let the player choose anymore? And when did that start?

It started in 2001 after it came out that Wade Boggs (allegedly) took money from the Devil Rays to go into the HOF with their cap.

Just had to add that he has my favorite batting stance of all time.

He did exactly what you're taught not to do and it worked for him. :lol

Who chooses which team a player will go in as? And how? And why does the BHOF care so much that they don't let the player choose anymore? And when did that start?

It started in 2001 after it came out that Wade Boggs (allegedly) took money from the Devil Rays to go into the HOF with their cap.

Are you serious? That sounds like a joke from a Jay Leno monologue.:lol

Gary Sheffield has officially filed his retirement papers, according to George A. King III of the New York Post. After 22 seasons with the Marlins, Dodgers, Brewers, Yankees, Braves, Padres, Tigers and Mets, the 42-year-old is ready to retire. He says his numbers have earned him a shot a Cooperstown.

"I am sure it will be mentioned and debated, but from my standpoint I know who is in the Hall of Fame," Sheffield said. "A lot of them don't belong in the Hall of Fame. If someone wants to debate me, check the stats."

Sheffield posted a .292/.393/.514 line with 509 homers and 1676 RBI in the majors. The nine-time All-Star and five-time Silver Slugger recipient won a batting title and has a career OPS+ of 140. Sheffield came up as a shortstop before transitioning to third base and then the outfield. Sheffield, who earned about $168MM in his career, according to Baseball-Reference, ranks 24th all-time in career home runs.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/02/gary-sheffield-retires.html

He'll probably be the first and only Florida Marlin to go into the HoF.