Miami (FL) at North Carolina-7:00 PM on ESPN

Craig

Tonight, the 10-3 Upstart Miami Hurricanes will look to put their basketball program back on the map as they travel to Chapel Hill to face Roy Williams and the Tar Heels of North Carolina. This game will be nationally televised on ESPN, and hopefully the 'Canes win, as I currently hate North Carolina for their defeat of Illinois earlier this year :cool

Source: http://hurricanesports.ocsn.com/sports/m-b.../010504aaa.html

UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI (10-3) at

#9/#9 UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA (8-2)

Wednesday, January 7, 2004 - 7:00 p.m.

Dean E. Smith Center (21,750) - Chapel Hill, N.C.

TV - ESPN; Radio - WQAM (560 AM)

Website - hurricanesports.com

ON NORTH CAROLINA:

North Carolina enters its match-up with Miami with a record of 8-2 and a No. 9 national ranking in both the Associated Press and ESPN/USA Today college basketball polls. The Tar Heels are coming off a 61-56 loss at Kentucky on January 3. Junior guard Melvin Scott led North Carolina with 16 points against the Wildcats.

On the season the Tar Heels have been led by sophomore forward Rashad McCants who is averaging a team-high 17.5 points per game.

North Carolina is averaging 87.6 points per game this season and boasts all five starters averaging in double-figures in scoring. Junior forward Jawad Williams (16.4 ppg), sophomore center Sean May (15.2 ppg), Scott (12.4 ppg) and sophomore point guard Raymond Felton (11.2 ppg) are all scoring 10 or more points per game. May leads the team in rebounding at 9.9 rebounds per game.

THE SERIES:

Miami and North Carolina meet for the eighth time with North Carolina leading the all-time series 6-1. Miami's lone win came last season as the Hurricanes knocked off the Tar Heels, 64-61 in overtime at the Convocation Center. The game was Miami's first in its new on-campus arena. Miami last played North Carolina in Chapel Hill on December 4, 2000 with the Tar Heels coming away with a 67-45 win.

LAST SEASON AGAINST NORTH CAROLINA:

MIAMI 64, NORTH CAROLINA 61

January 4, 2003

Convocation Center, Coral Gables, FL

Darius Rice nailed a three-pointer at the end of regulation and provided the only field goal in overtime as the Miami Hurricanes pulled out a thrilling 64-61 victory over North Carolina at the Convocation Center. Rice finished with 17 points, as Miami picked up its third straight win.

James Jones registered a game-high 21 points and eight rebounds for the Hurricanes, who were playing their first game in their new arena.

North Carolina was led by Rashad McCants, who tallied 14 points and seven rebounds. Raymond Felton added 14 points, while Jackie Manuel chipped in 11. Felton dished out a game-high six assists for the Tar Heels, who lost their second game in three outings.

After Miami gained a 27-19 lead through 11 minutes of action, North Carolina used an 8-2 burst to close to within 29-27. The Tar Heels failed to get over the hump, however, and continued to trail at the half, 35-30.

North Carolina took the lead with 18 consecutive points in the second half, but fell into a 60-60 tie at the end of regulation when the team failed to score a field goal in the final 12:10. The Tar Heels were equally inept in the extra session, missing all nine of their attempts from the floor.

UP NEXT:

Following the North Carolina game the Hurricanes return home to host Pittsburgh in the BIG EAST Conference opener for both schools in the Convocation Center starting at 2 p.m. on January 10.

A WIN AGAINST NORTH CAROLINA WOULD:

***Improve Miami's record to 11-3.

***Be Miami's sixth consecutive win.

***Be Miami's second straight win over North Carolina.

***Mark UM's first ACC road victory since Dec. 10, 1966.

I am a huge carolina fan and I believe that this game could be close if Carolina doesn't come out and play good basketball. You never know with the parity in men's college hoops. However, it is in the Dean Dome which gives the Heels even more of an advantage. If UNC plays good basketball then it will be a blowout but you never know.

I do think that UM can win more than 2 games in the ACC though. Virginia Tech is the team that will be in trouble.

The tar heels looked very blandt against kentucky last week. That game shouldn't have even been close. I would give anyone in the country a shot if unc dogs it like they did against uk in te 2nd half.

I didn't expect UNC to beat Kentucky. They had lost something like 4 straight against the Wildcats.

I also didn't expect UNC to lose at home to Wake Forest. Even if Wake Forest are ten times better than the Canes.

Miami falls tonight 89-64.

The 'Canes have some potential, but they are raw and young. With some experience, improved shot selection, improvement on the defensive end, and a recruiting class or two, they could be pretty good. And that 10-4 record thusfar this year still ain't bad.

Miami's next game is against undefeated Pittsburgh. Another tough assignment, but we will see what happens.

Guest marlins02

considering we beat powerful savvannah st. and their mighty 1-12 record along with teams like that, one loss aint that bad (obviously im being sarcastic)

that FSU game still hurts. at least we're beating the weak teams this year, last season was horrible

next game for heels is uconn....tough

It'll be tough for the Heels assuming that UConn plays its game (which is the fast-break offense). I'm not sure if anyone saw the UConn-Rutgers game (it might have only be shown in CT), UConn couldn't hit free-throws and that almost cost them the game. If the Heels could get them on the line, they'll have the upperhand I think.