Red Sox counter move...

TSwift25

First of all, I find this very amusing:

According to a source, a mutual friend of both Rodriguez and the Red Sox approached the All-Star on Boston's behalf. The acquaintance suggested that, unlike in the failed December negotiations, the team might be willing to take on Rodriguez's entire contract. In December, the Red Sox had insisted that Rodriguez take a pay cut.

Saturday, Rodriguez enthusiastically told the go-between, "tell [Red Sox president]Admin Lucchino to - off!"

http://www.nynewsday.com/sports/baseball/y...headlines-right

But anyway, the growing buzz isn't so much will the Red Sox counter, but how? I personally feel that Maddux is going to probably be courted hard by Boston, and it seems the Cubs feel that too because after ARod was traded, they upped their offer to Maddux, possibly to keep him away from Boston. Also, another rumor, and this one is waaaaaaaay out there is that the Red Sox are trying to trade for Randy Johnson (I personally don't believe it). Any other thoughts on what might happen?