state of the confernce address

For years in my eyes the NL East has been the toughest NL conference. A few years ago it was the Braves and Mets with the Phillies not sucking. Last year it was the Braves, Marlins, Phillies, with the Expos not sucking, The only team that sucked would be the Mets. This year it seems that the NL East may not be the toughest confernce. The Mets are still bad, the Expos are ok, the Braves are facing their first below .500 season sense the 80's. The Phillies made some moves, but look sub-par. The Marlins look great now, but needs the offense to score some more runs. I realize it has only been 1 week, but I felt this would be the case sense I saw the rosters. I don't think that the Braves are going to put any kind of run together. The Mets will be bad for a few more years, and with Admin Bowa as the head coach of the Phillies they ain't going anywhere. The only team I see that could give the Marlins a run is the Expos. Then again the unthinkable can quickly become reality. As a Marlins' fan I witnessed it last year.

IMO this is how I see the conferences in the NL

NL Central (my personal laughing stock for the past few years, these teams are good now)

NL West (don't know much about them, but on paper they are a tough group of teams)

NL East (whoa is me, I'm not complaining if the Fish get the conference. It's just I will have to eat some crow when I was saying things about the Central last year to all my Cub fan friends.)

I think you mean division.

You're right the level of parity (the good kind, not the AL Central or NFL type) is unbelievable.

It's 2am and I'm bored so I'm going to post what Atlantic Coast Conference basketball team bears the most resemblence to NL East teams and others.

Marlins = Georgia Tech. It only seemed a little while ago they were challenging for the crown but a disruptive exodus of players left them in the cellar. Ever since they've had the young talent to compete and the right coach will take them far.

Expos = North Carolina. Once a premier team heading by a future Hall of Fame coach but recently fell on tough times. Their future looks bright once under new management.

Braves = Duke. They win the division all the time (except 1994) and their fans like to make sure you know it. They are among the most frequent teams nationally broadcasted. And their assistant coaches are regarded by the media as geniuses.

Phillies = NC State. They were good once but have not lived up to their potential. Fans are often rowdy and a very defeatist bunch. And their coach isn't giving them many reasons to cheer.

Mets = Virginia. A lot of hype but nothing every to back it up. The stars they recruit usually disappoint. But atleast they have the memories of some unexpected postseason runs.

Cubs = Virginia Tech. Never consistent, but when they are on they are 'unbeatable'... until they choke.

Athletics = Maryland. Headed by a short-tempered passionate man who usually improves his team late in the season to post very respectable marks.

Giants = Wake Forest. A team with a storied history that has seen recent success largely on the back of one player.

Devil Rays = Clemson. A lot of high profile coaches. Desperate to finish second-to-last just once. If not there's always football and golf.

Royals = Florida State. The upstart. A lot of young talent and with a better tactical coach they'd be actually win something.

Mariners = Miami. They were good a few years back, and hope to succeed with its expanded recruiting base.

Rockies = Boston College. Might as well be on the moon.

Braves = Duke. They win the division all the time (except 1994) and their fans like to make sure you know it. They are among the most frequent teams nationally broadcasted. And their assistant coaches are regarded by the media as geniuses.

Could that be becasue their owner owns the station theyre broadcast on? :mischief2

I think you mean division.

You're right the level of parity (the good kind, not the AL Central or NFL type) is unbelievable.

It's 2am and I'm bored so I'm going to post what Atlantic Coast Conference basketball team bears the most resemblence to NL East teams and others.

Marlins = Georgia Tech. It only seemed a little while ago they were challenging for the crown but a disruptive exodus of players left them in the cellar. Ever since they've had the young talent to compete and the right coach will take them far.

Expos = North Carolina. Once a premier team heading by a future Hall of Fame coach but recently fell on tough times. Their future looks bright once under new management.

Phillies = NC State. They were good once but have not lived up to their potential. Fans are often rowdy and a very defeatist bunch. And their coach isn't giving them many reasons to cheer.

Mets = Virginia. A lot of hype but nothing every to back it up. The stars they recruit usually disappoint. But atleast they have the memories of some unexpected postseason runs.

Cubs = Virginia Tech. Never consistent, but when they are on they are 'unbeatable'... until they choke.

Athletics = Maryland. Headed by a short-tempered passionate man who usually improves his team late in the season to post very respectable marks.

Giants = Wake Forest. A team with a storied history that has seen recent success largely on the back of one player.

Devil Rays = Clemson. A lot of high profile coaches. Desperate to finish second-to-last just once. If not there's always football and golf.

Royals = Florida State. The upstart. A lot of young talent and with a better tactical coach they'd be actually win something.

Mariners = Miami. They were good a few years back, and hope to succeed with its expanded recruiting base.

Rockies = Boston College. Might as well be on the moon.

Not bad for 2am... a very creative and entertaining post.

Not surprising - I hate Duke and the Braves...

:D