minor league update 4/18

Shamrock

Albuquerque - AAA

won 4-3

*Mike Tejera recorded his first start and went 5IP (4H, 2ER, 2BB, 5K, HR)

*SS Valdez had a double in 4 AB raising his average to .317

Carolina - AA

lost 6-3

*CF Eric Reed hit his second HR (in 37AB) which gives him more HR than hes hit in his entire pro and college career combined. I was made fun of earlier for saying he was developing power. Bite me.

*C Josh Willingham struck out 2 times and walked 2 times

*LH reliever Hartmann struck out 3 in 2.1IP to give him 11Ks in 6.2IP

Jupiter - Hi A

Jupiter got the shutout 4-0

*The man who I believe will be the Marlins breakout pitcher of the year pitched 5 innings of shutout baseball (3H, 0ER, 2BB, 6K)....I tried finding some stats for him pitching, but came up empty. Looks like we picked him up from the Twins and converted him to a starting pitcher. His stats at catcher were ugly. Hes 20 years old, 5"10', and a righty. Keep an eye on this dood.

*RF Jeremy Hermida walked twice, but is off to a sluggish start in the pitching friendly Florida State League

Greensboro - Low A

The Bats fell 6-3

*2B Cole Siefrig had 2 doubles in 5AB...giving him 6 on the season tying him for 1st in the league.

*RF Andy Rohleder doubled in 4AB...giving him 5 on the season

*The man who I believe will be the Marlins breakout pitcher of the year pitched 5 innings of shutout baseball (3H, 0ER, 2BB, 6K)....I tried finding some stats for him pitching, but came up empty. Looks like we picked him up from the Twins and converted him to a starting pitcher. His stats at catcher were ugly. Hes 20 years old, 5"10', and a righty. Keep an eye on this dood.

does he have a name?

Theres alot of speculation that we wont be able to afford Carl Pavano after this year when he becomes a FA. The only pitcher that we have in the minors that can take his spot is Trevor Hutchinson. So far this year he has a no-hitter in AA nad has a 1.64 ERA in 11 Innings w/ 8 SO and only 2 walks. Check out this article on him:

Hot Prospect: Trevor Hutchinson

03/08/2004 8:00 AM ET

By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

? Marlins organization report

JUPITER, Fla. -- He doesn't stylishly tilt his cap to the side or have the exaggerated leg kick of a Dontrelle Willis, but Trevor Hutchinson may be on the same career course as the D-Train.

A year ago, it was the energetic Willis who became the rising young star of Marlins' Spring Training. The then 21-year-old left-hander was turning heads with his unorthodox delivery, engaging personality and ability to get batters out.

Even though Willis didn't break camp on the Marlins' roster, the organization was confident he wasn't far away from making the leap to the Major Leagues. Willis' opportunity came in early May, when he was called up after Josh Beckett went on the disabled list.

Seizing the moment, Willis was an instant hit. He became an All-Star and went on to become the National League Rookie of the Year.

"Not to put any pressure on him, but Hutchinson basically is Dontrelle from the right side," said minor league pitching coach Gil Lopez. "He probably has a better breaking ball than Dontrelle."

A third-round pick in 2002, Hutchinson is moving quickly up the minor league ranks.

In his first full season of pro ball, Hutchinson went 9-2 with a 2.77 ERA in 14 games with Class-A Jupiter. Named to the Florida State League All-Star Game, Hutchinson's career progressed quickly.

In the second half, he was promoted to Double-A Carolina, and went 3-3 with a 3.86 ERA in eight games.

The Carolina Mudcats won the Southern League title, and Hutchinson was the winning pitcher in the decisive game, giving up one run on three hits in five innings. He made three postseason appearances, going 1-0 with a 2.87 ERA.

Lopez, now the Mudcats' pitching coach, was pitching coach for Jupiter last year and has been impressed with what he sees already this spring.

"The good thing about him is he's mentally tough," Lopez said. "What helps him is he has good stuff, and his pitches have got good sink. Then he's got the slider to go the other way."

The 6-foot-5, 220-pounder who lives in Iriving, Texas, is from an athletic family. His brother, Chad, is the backup quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys, and his father, Lloyd, played outfield in the Phillies' organization in the early 1970s.

The 24-year-old, who pitched at California-Berkeley, knows his Major League break may not happen on Opening Day. Spring Training offers him a chance to showcase his skills against big-league hitters.

"I want to impress them," he says. "You want to be on the Major League club, but that's not always the case. I'm obviously trying to do the best I can and hope I make the team at some point."

His fastball is in the 91-92 mph range, and he has an effective slider. This season he is working on adding a changeup.

"This is an excellent opportunity," Lopez said. "I think he's going to just grow leaps and bounds this spring. He's just like Dontrelle. He will start off in Double-A or Triple-A, wherever they want to put him. And then in half a year, he may get called up. I don't think he's too far, at all."

Josh Johnson, selected by the Marlins in the 4th round of the June 2002 free agent draft.

2003 Marlins Media Guide

There's another Josh Johnson, a catcher, who is currently with the Swing of Quad Cities.

Kevin Boles is his manager.

does he have a name? doh...Josh Johnson, yes...sorry.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.