Pistons vs Pacers series

TealMonster

I'll admit I'm nothing more than a casual fan when it comes to the NBA but this is a very boring series, I have really gotten into the Lakers-T'Wolves series because of the excitement but this series is nearing the end of the 3rd quarter and they havent reached 100 yet COMBINED. Maybe its part of basketball and you guys have no trouble with it but this may be a series that I can only watch through highlights.

the best thing about this series though, is these teams keep the score pretty close. so it gets pretty exciting the last couple of minutes of the game.

Yeah, and a couple of quadrapelegics would keep a foot race pretty close, too, but that doesn't make it exciting.

Defense is great and all that, but aside from the Prince block the series has been a snoozer. And seeing the Prince block came at the high price of having to watch the other 47:40 of that atrocious game.

Add all this to the fact that the series is a battle for the right to lose to the Western Conference is 4-5 games and it gets pretty ponderous.

Add all this to the fact that the series is a battle for the right to lose to the Western Conference is 4-5 games and it gets pretty ponderous.

lose to the western conference? pistons and the pacers can easly win against the lakers or t-wolves. pistons split the season series with the lakers(without rasheed)

if it was the lakers vs the pistons in the finals, pistons will likely win it in 6 or 7.

Guest Juanky

I honestly think the Pistons can put up a brave fight in the championship, but to say that they are going to win in 6 games is a pretty bold statement.

I honestly think the Pistons can put up a brave fight in the championship, but to say that they are going to win in 6 games is a pretty bold statement.

Agreed. I don't think the Pistons can beat the Lakers. They can beat the T-Wolves though IMO.

This series is offensively boring. But I like defense. This is just something we're not used to seeing in the NBA, so not too many people are having fun with it. I will agree though, sometimes it looks as if these are two high school offenses going up against a pro defense, which leads to utterly ugly shots by both teams.

May 27, 2004

BY DREW SHARP

FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

The NBA fined Indiana's Ron Artest for making an obscene gesture, but never specified the act.

Was it his jump shot?

But the mystery is how the league could isolate a lone offender from the numerous suspects in these Eastern Conference finals.

The Pistons immediately followed the most productive scoring quarter in this series -- to that point -- with the worst. And if you attach Game 2's second half with Game 3's first half, then the Pacers scored all of 54 points through 48 minutes.

If there were ever an argument for euthanasia, it is this battle for Eastern supremacy.

The Pistons took one step closer to putting everyone out of misery, taking a 2-1 series lead Wednesday at the Palace. But does anyone honestly think that whoever stumbles out of this series has a snowball's chance against the Lakers?

If the fourth quarter was any indication, maybe there's a glimmer of hope, considering the two teams combined for 62 points. That number was just two shy of the first-half total.

"There was plenty of scoring there at the end," said guard Chauncey Billups. "When they got to within two points, you needed to get a defensive stop at that point. It was typical of the games in this series, that they're always going to go down to the end."

This has been the perfect setting for the faint-shooting, but there's no room for the fainthearted.

"What time is it?" Pistons coach Admin Brown asked afterward. "One o'clock?"

It only seemed that late, the consequences of action that flowed like molasses.

But at least the Pistons grasped the concept of crisp ball movement, essential for creating good shots when an offense lacks the individual creativity to break down a defense.

The difference in this series remains the Pistons' backcourt. It's why, despite the Pacers' regular-season success against them, the Pistons match up much better against Indiana in a best-of-seven series than they did against New Jersey in the second round.

Billups dished (eight assists and just one turnover) and Richard Hamilton threw the daggers with 20 points. The Pacers aren't smoothly getting into their half-court sets. Indiana has no answer for this mismatch, and should the Pacers fail to steal a game Friday, they won't have a chance in this series even though they won more games than anybody else in the NBA this season.

"It's frustrating," said Reggie Miller, who mustered only three points, "but this is what happens when you've got two teams that play tough defense for four quarters. Nothing is going to come easy."

How is such offensive futility possible on both sides?

Start with steadily deteriorating individual creativity and heightened team defensive awareness. Blend in an unwillingness to deviate from the controlling half-court schematics. Sprinkle in a touch of inconsistent officiating to enhance the bile, and you've created an unresponsive, flavorless, impossible-to-swallow porridge that's packaged as Eastern Conference playoff basketball.

It doesn't go down easily, if at all -- like one of the many jumpers in this series that has found every curve of the rim.

One-trick ponies get exposed the further they go in the playoffs. The Pistons' and Pacers' best scorers have only one act in their repertoires, making them more vulnerable to the defensive lockdown they've experienced.

Jermaine O'Neal is the best player on the floor. He rebounded from a poor Game 2 with 24 points Wednesday. Yet if he doesn't get the ball in his desired spot, he's uncomfortable creating something for himself. That cuts the defensive strategy in half, channeling the team focus on denying him the ball where he wants it. Let him have it anywhere else and happily take your chances.

The officials permitted more rough play in Game 2, allowing the Pistons to push around O'Neal more liberally in the low post. And it continued again Wednesday with O'Neal opting more for mid-range jumpers than aggressively attacking the basket.

Rick Carlisle's frustration hit a crescendo at the end of the third quarter when he stormed the floor to protest the Pistons' manhandling of his star, and he was slapped with a technical foul.

Artest fancies himself an improved offensive presence, but he's basically a strung-out bull in a china shop. That's fine in the regular season when he's facing a defender who's weary from playing his fourth opponent in five days and doesn't want to deal with the physical challenges of containing the reckless, 250-pound Artest.

But once again, the playoffs are a different animal altogether, and if a defender is willing to absorb the punishment and take the offensive charge, then he has rendered Artest ineffective.

The Pistons are equally limited offensively, placing a higher priority on spacing and quick ball movement.

Predictability breeds the offensive problems that have NBA Nation in search of an alarm clock in this series.

Contact DREW SHARP at 313-223-4055 or dsharp@freepress.com.

c/o The Detroit Free Press

All time upsets in professional sports?

Please Das get off your Anti-Wolves gig. It's old.

Of course if the Wolves beat the Lakers it'd be a huge upset, but not All Time in Pro Sports, or even All time in the NBA for that matter.

There's a reason the Wolves are the #1 seed and the Lakers are #2, one of those reasons is that the Wolves won the season series 3-1.

But the Wolves will lose the series in 5.

And it looks like my Preseason finals prediction of Lakers-Pistons will come true, I say Lakers in 6 over Detroit.

Guest Juanky

Juanky,

The Lakers won their division and therefore are #2.

And will win in Minneapolis on Saturday night because I'm going to the Target Center and the Wolves always lose when I go.

How could the Lakers be #2, if the TWolves are obviously #1 and the Spurs had homecourt advantage last round? The Lakers are 3 at best. They did not win their division, the Spurs did.

Juanky,

The Lakers won their division and therefore are #2.

And will win in Minneapolis on Saturday night because I'm going to the Target Center and the Wolves always lose when I go.

How could the Lakers be #2, if the TWolves are obviously #1 and the Spurs had homecourt advantage last round? The Lakers are 3 at best. They did not win their division, the Spurs did. Here is the deal. T-Wolves and Spurs are in the same division (Midwest), T-Wolves won the division . Lakers gets #2 because they won their divison (Pacific) however they didn't get homecourt because the Spurs had a better record.

I've never seen that done, usually the division winner gets preference over the wild card no matter what the record.

In the NBA, seedings don't really matter. Division winners automatically get the #1 and #2 spot. But the #2 spot doesn't secure homecourt over the 3-8 spots. Homecourt advantage is based on the better record.

Guest Juanky

I just don't see the rational for that. If that is going to be the case, why seed at all? Why seed using the divisions?