A Joke with some insight on our own stubbornness

Mikesgirl1

Change your course now

This is the transcript of an actual radio conversation of a US naval ship with Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October, 1995.

Radio conversation released by the Chief of Naval Operations on November 10, 1995.

Americans: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the North to avoid a collision.

Canadians: Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

Americans: This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.

Canadians: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course.

Americans: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS LINCOLN, THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES' ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS, AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH, THAT'S ONE FIVE DEGREES NORTH, OR COUNTER-MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP.

Canadians: This is a lighthouse. Your call.

i had it with those canadians that ciruclate this around like we're arrogant bastards and they're not.

:lol Yeah, Canadian Bastards! Let's bomb their country too!

:mischief Canadians are not cool, they're awesome. No really, this whole idea that Canadians hate Americans is absolutely not true. They actually look up to America (althought I don't know about now). French canadians are not even that bad either, although sometimes they're annoying with the whole "let's be a separate country" thing.

Dr. Douglas (an English professor here) is leaving Furman to go back to Canada. Apparently, the last day of classes (yesterday) all he talked about was how America sucked, and how couldn't wait to get back to Canada where it's actually a decent country. He's an atheist btw. He then decided to lead the class in a mock prayer (beginning with "Sweet Baby Jesus...") and then decided to "thank God" that he was leaving the U.S. to go back to a decent country, Canada.

What a bastard. I woulda walked out.

Dr. Douglas (an English professor here) is leaving Furman to go back to Canada. Apparently, the last day of classes (yesterday) all he talked about was how America sucked, and how couldn't wait to get back to Canada where it's actually a decent country. He's an atheist btw. He then decided to lead the class in a mock prayer (beginning with "Sweet Baby Jesus...") and then decided to "thank God" that he was leaving the U.S. to go back to a decent country, Canada.

What a bastard. I woulda walked out.

:lol That is funny though. Did any of his students protest?

nope...grades are at stake....

I definitely would have walked out...in fact I wish I had that class for the sole intention of walking out of that class....

It isn't that funny. Mocking one's religion is abso-f*cking-lutely hilarious IMO too.

And mature too....man, this guy is mature. Have fun in America, Jr Douglass.

nope...grades are at stake....

I definitely would have walked out...in fact I wish I had that class for the sole intention of walking out of that class....

It isn't that funny. Mocking one's religion is abso-f*cking-lutely hilarious IMO too.

And mature too....man, this guy is mature. Have fun in America, Jr Douglass.

If you walked out then you'd give him the last word. I would have said something, f*** sucking up to a teacher. I would have told him to show respect for people's beliefs, even if he disagrees with them. I would have gone into mocking him for being an atheist... "yeah professor, thank God your atheist! *rolls eyes*"

no....that gets me into trouble. One must think rationally. Unfortunately, when I get pissed, rationality does not come to mind, so the safest bet would be me to get up and leave. I would have told him to show respect for other's beliefs, and then walked out.

I have heard canadians tell me "we kicked your ass in the war of 1812." These same bastards bitched about our bombing of afghanistan.

yah the kicked our ass.... :blink:

Our state militias wouldnt go in a fight in Canada (only required to fight within their own state), so we had our weak-ass Continental Army do the fightin. And, simply our Continental Army (with generals from the Rev. War (35 years ago) could barely kick people out of our country, much less take one over.

Change your course now

This is the transcript of an actual radio conversation of a US naval ship with Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October, 1995.

Radio conversation released by the Chief of Naval Operations on November 10, 1995.

Americans: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the North to avoid a collision.

Canadians: Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

Americans: This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.

Americans: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS LINCOLN, THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES' ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS, AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH, THAT'S ONE FIVE DEGREES NORTH, OR COUNTER-MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP.

This didn't actually happen, of course. It's just an old joke, maybe 30 or 40 years old that's been updated to 1995. The version I heard didn't even involve the Canadians.

Here's the link to where it's debunked ... The Obstinate Lighthouse

Change your course now

This didn't actually happen, of course. It's just an old joke, maybe 30 or 40 years old that's been updated to 1995. The version I heard didn't even involve the Canadians.

Here's the link to where it's debunked ... The Obstinate Lighthouse If you read the disclaimer in the title... It says "A Joke". Thanks for the insight though. :mischief

If you read the disclaimer in the title... It says "A Joke". Thanks for the insight though. :mischief

Yes I read that. I also saw that the first line says "actual radio transmission" and it's been going around as a true story for years now. It's not really a joke as much as it's an urban legend now, kinda like the one about the library at University of Indiana sinking because the engineers didn't plan on the weight of the books.

i had it with those canadians that ciruclate this around like we're arrogant bastards and they're not.

:lol Yeah, Canadian Bastards! Let's bomb their country too!

:mischief Canadians are not cool, they're awesome. No really, this whole idea that Canadians hate Americans is absolutely not true. They actually look up to America (althought I don't know about now). French canadians are not even that bad either, although sometimes they're annoying with the whole "let's be a separate country" thing. I also would like to add that Canadian women are among the most beautiful in the world.