Notes from New England

Marlins2003

Here's a piece from today's Boston Globe on Jeff Allison:

Allison sheds little light on his departure

By Christopher L. Gasper, Globe Staff | June 8, 2004

PEABODY -- Speaking to reporters for the first time since his abrupt departure from Florida Marlins camp a month ago, Jeff Allison denied telling a longtime associate that he had entered a drug rehabilitation program over the winter for treatment related to his use of the drug OxyContin, as reported in a Globe story.

ADVERTISEMENT

"I never said anything about anything like that," said Allison, who declined to respond directly to questions about whether he had a drug problem. "I don't know who this longtime associate is."

The former Peabody High School ace pitcher, who was placed on baseball's restricted list by the Marlins May 6 after he left camp without permission, spoke while attending Peabody's 10-3 victory over Methuen in the quarterfinals of the MIAA Division 1 North tournament.

In a May 7 story, the Globe quoted a longtime associate of the pitcher as saying that Allison had told him he had entered an outpatient rehabilitation program this winter for his use of OxyContin, an addictive painkiller. In addition, a baseball industry source close to the situation said Allison had failed at least one drug test, and perhaps two.

Asked yesterday why he left camp, Allison said, "I'm not going to get into that right now."

Yesterday marked the second straight Peabody High tournament game that Allison attended; he was also on hand for the victory over Lowell Saturday. Allison said he sees no reason to be reclusive.

"I'm not afraid to talk," he said. "I'm not hiding. I'm just here to watch the game. At first, I did mind going out in public, but I know who my real friends are and I don't worry what people say about me."

Allison, 19, was taken by Florida with the 16th overall pick in last summer's amateur draft and received a $1.85 million signing bonus.

After this spring's developments, he did confirm that the Marlins asked him to return a portion of the bonus, which he did.

The hard-throwing righthander, who sported a diamond earring, said he has continued working out at home, getting his throwing in at a local park. He said his friend and high school teammate Artie Generazzo, who also attended yesterday's game, has been his catcher.

The irony of discussing his situation on draft day was not lost on Allison, who called the day "weird" for him. He offered advice for this year's draftees -- which included his former teammate, current Peabody ace Ryan Moorer, selected by the Chicago Cubs in the 13th round -- saying that if they are unsure about turning pro, they should go to college.

But Allison said he did not regret his decision to pass up a scholarship to the University of Arizona to sign with the Marlins.

"I think I made the right decision," he said. "I love the game and I'll be down there [Marlins camp] soon."

Despite his current status, Allison said he still believes that he'll be in the big leagues.

"The people that do know me are behind me 100 percent, and I appreciate that," he said. "Everything's going to be all right."

? Copyright 2004 Globe Newspaper Company.

-----------

Those of you interested in Kim should be aware Kim is back in South Korea getting accupuncture and massage therapy for what ails him. The Red Sox (mgmt and fans) have written him off 100%. Most believe he will never pitch in the majors again for the Sox and their only hope is to dump him to some unsuspecting eam.

Sounds like potential good news on both fronts. I hope Allison gets his act together.

As for Kim, I think the Marlins would be a perfect fit for him. He could buddy up with Choi and have a lot less pressure on him. The switch from Boston to Florida seemed to work out well for Chad Fox last year.

:thumbup

Sounds like potential good news on both fronts. I hope Allison gets his act together.

As for Kim, I think the Marlins would be a perfect fit for him. He could buddy up with Choi and have a lot less pressure on him. The switch from Boston to Florida seemed to work out well for Chad Fox last year.

:thumbup

And I think getting into a smaller market will help him (like it helped Benitez). Ever since imploding against the Yanks that first time, he can't be up there pitching against them a lot.

Good to hear that Allison plans to return to camp in the near future!!!

It really isn't that unusual that he needed some time off.... time to rethink his priorities. This will be a growing experience for him, and hopefully he'll come back recharged and hungry.

Good to hear that Allison plans to return to camp in the near future!!!

It really isn't that unusual that he needed some time off.... time to rethink his priorities. This will be a growing experience for him, and hopefully he'll come back recharged and hungry.

Fortunately for Allison he was drafted by a small market club - can you imagine the uproar if he were drafted in New York, Chicago or Boston? I hope he is back soon.

Hopefully, we'll see JA soon, but only he knows what's really going on. I doubt we'll see him pitch for a Marlins affiliate this year, but it's good to see he hasn't dropped baseball altogether. His career drefinitely isn't over, but he's not back on track yet either.

As for BK, if the Sox will pick up some of that contract i'd definitely be willing to take a risk. Smaller Market, and a Korean teammate should definitely help him a lot.

I'm back from my sojourn to hell, er New England, and the lead post in this thread was done at an airport internet stattion because I saw the Allison story and I thought you all would want to see it.

AS FOR KIM YOU ALL MISUNDERSTOOD !!!

The prevailing belief among the radio guys on WEEI (a real baseball radio station the likes of which you've never heard...wow!), the hosts, the callers, the guests (including Gammons who you all know is a diehard Red Sox fan), up and down the line is that KIM IS WASHED UP, BEYOND SALVAGING and has retreated to Korea because he just can't cut it here.

The point is the Red Sox perceive him as another Darren Oliver, long on excuses and short on ability who ran away to Korea to hide more than anything. The Red Sox want to dump him just get rid of his $$$.

When Gammon's talks about trading Kim he is fronting for the Red Sox more than anything. He's trying to create a market so the Sox can dump him. The message I'm trying to deliver is 100% stay away from Kim. He couldn't make in the minors right now, never mind in South Florida and that's why he ran away to South Korea.

Taking money for something and not delivering any value is the textbook definition of fraud. If he's got "issues", fine, work'em out but GIVE ALL THE MONEY BACK first because you ain't delivering any value kid.

I hate to say it but this kid is VERY badly damaged goods. IMO we got a better chance of seeing Castro straighten up than this kid.

Allison is only 19. Castro is 28. Big difference.

A high schooler, moving away from home, with more money than he can imagine. It's not difficult to see where it could be an overwhelming situation. Give him some time to clear his head. He apparently wasn't ready for the situation. He'll come back when he's ready. It's way too early to write him off.

I would like to see Kim here in Florida, much like the rest of you I think that he can suceed in a small market and with a Koren teammate. As for him being beyond repair I think alot of people said the same thing about Pudge and Armando.

As for Allison I really want to see him come through and reach his potential especially if we lost Penny or Pavano in the offseason.

let me get this straight.

so kim is a bum and washed up because....

he is an all-star

he was arizona's best reliever

he had a 3.56 era as a starter in arizona

he had a 3.18 era when pitched for boston

he has a career 3.33 era

he has 453 strike outs in a little over 400 innings

he has a world series ring

he has given up only 310 hits in 420 innings

he is 25 years old

TEAM W L ERA G GSCG SHO SV SVO IP H R ER HR HBP BB SO

1999 Arizona 1 2 4.61 25 0 0 0 1 4 27.1 20 15 14 2 5 20 31

2000 Arizona 6 6 4.46 61 1 0 0 14 20 70.2 52 39 35 9 9 46 111

2001 Arizona 5 6 2.94 78 0 0 0 19 23 98.0 58 32 32 10 8 44 113

2002 Arizona 8 3 2.04 72 0 0 0 36 42 84.0 64 20 19 5 6 26 92

2003 Arizona 1 5 3.56 7 7 0 0 0 0 43.0 34 17 17 6 4 15 33

2003 Boston 8 5 3.18 49 5 0 0 16 19 79.1 70 38 28 6 8 18 69

2004 Boston 1 1 6.17 3 3 0 0 0 0 11.2 12 11 8 1 2 5 4

hmmmmmmm.... i just dont see it.

oh wait, you're right, he is washed up. i remember now, he flipped boston off and gave up the homeruns to the yankees in the world series.

please, base your "he's a bum, he sucks, he's washed up" on something.

let me get this straight.

so kim is a bum and washed up because....

he is an all-star

he was arizona's best reliever

he had a 3.56 era as a starter in arizona

he had a 3.18 era when pitched for boston

he has a career 3.33 era

he has 453 strike outs in a little over 400 innings

he has a world series ring

he has given up only 310 hits in 420 innings

he is 25 years old

hmmmmmmm.... i just dont see it.

oh wait, you're right, he is washed up. i remember now, he flipped boston off and gave up the homeruns to the yankees in the world series.

please, base your "he's a bum, he sucks, he's washed up" on something.

I think his 6.17 ERA this year speaks for itself.

A world series ring means nothing as far as him as a player. He nearly blew the series for them anyway.

His immaturity shows through in his actions.

He can stay in Korea and play for some great ball club they have there for all I'm concerned.

holy crap...

hmmm lets see your so right.... he was coming off a injury and had just 3 starts this season. you are so right... so i guess lowe and orroyo are washed up as well... let me go down mlb.com and find the so many washed up pitchers this year.

oh my god, so i guess since he is struggling off the injury this year, we should forget about the success he had and just kick him out. good point nc, very good.

you're like the many boston fans that hate kim because he flipped them off.

bottomline is if you hate kim because of his attitude, than hate him for his attitude, dont try to make little excuses and blame his pitching.

I'm simply reporting what the talk is in Boston from newspaper reporters from both the Globe and the Boston Herald, the five or six hosts, fans, etc.

The story that ran about him returning to South Korea for acupuncture and massage treatments did not sit well in Beantown.

Allison is only 19. Castro is 28. Big difference.

Indeed, Castro showed up at the ballpark.

If he wasn't ready to work, he shouldn't have taken the money. I've never taken money for a job and not showed up. This sort of thing demonstrates a lack of character. He did pitch 9 innings in Rookie-level ball last year. :plain

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.