Consistency & Bullpen

Guest Jack1

Guest Jack1

''All these guys in the bullpen can't say they haven't had a chance,'' said manager Jack McKeon, who has become increasingly frustrated with a bullpen that ranks 11th in the National League in ERA and was responsible for Tuesday's meltdown in which Florida failed to protect a 4-0 lead in the eighth inning. ``Sooner or later, we've got to get some consistency. We need somebody to step up, one or two.''

To Jack:

In order for your bullpen to be consistent, you have to be consistent in the way you use them. Tell them their role. It's not up to them to tell you. You're the boss! I know you never make mistakes so come on.....tell all those guys out there how they are going to be used so they can prepare accordingly. Then you'll have a consistent bullpen. How about you "stepping up"!

does anyone else see what i see....all thats talked about is the bullpen this the bullpen that and how someone needs to step up and why knowone has....well maybe its because all we have is minor league pitchers and now a guy thats 37 and has never done well at the M.L. level...the bullpen is going to be s*** and leads and are going to be blow and close games will be nomore untill we get some talent in there with experience...i was sitting by the bullpen yesterday and except for benitez i wouldnt feel safe leaving my one run lead with anyone else....imagine we make it to the playoffs and our starter is done he's outta gas and it s the seventh inning with no outs and 2 runners on...now coming into the game Manzanillo....please god no lets make some trades guys...

If the bullpen did their job in any way then we wouldn't be complaining about how Jack uses it, so it all starts with them, and we should really be criticizing the bullpen rather than Jack.

I agree. This doesn't fall on McKeon. He can't help it if nobody he throws out there gets the job done. There is no need to make excuses for Bump or any other pitcher. I don't care who you are or when you come into the game, just get the hitters out.

A few things.

The bullpen hasn't been blowing leads left and right. We don't have the worst bullpen in the league, not even close, not even the worst 5 in the majors. We've blown save situations just 11 times. The Phillies and along with other competitive clubs are right there wih us between 9-17 blown saves this year.

First stay calm. The front office isn't going to make a move until July. Right now the pickings are slim, do we really want a Nate Bump clone making a million (Jason Grimsley)? No. Beinfest is holding out for when the next Urbina becomes available.

Ideally we'd like a Chad Fox or Miguel Cabrera/Dontrelle Willis to jump out of AAA and prove themselves. Justin Wayne was on his way until he fell out of favor with Jack and was rarely used. But all we've called up so far are journeyman minor leaguers and non-prospects too old for their minor league level. Maybe the club should choose a young guy with some nasty stuff.

And as for your playoff scenario McKeon has a pretty good track record of using his best player available when needed. All the starters will likely see time as relievers at some point in the playoffs.

Now if only McKeon could translate that into the regular season and start using Benitez as stopper instead of a 9th inning guy. I don't know about you but I'd much rather have Benitez pitching in the 7th or 8th with a one run lead or the game tied and runners in scoring position than the 9th with the bases clear.

If the bullpen did their job in any way then we wouldn't be complaining about how Jack uses it, so it all starts with them, and we should really be criticizing the bullpen rather than Jack.

I agree. This doesn't fall on McKeon. He can't help it if nobody he throws out there gets the job done. There is no need to make excuses for Bump or any other pitcher. I don't care who you are or when you come into the game, just get the hitters out. If they were all Armando Benitezs and Ugueth Urbinas I might agree, but they aren't.

I understand Jack McKeon has been a great manager, but because our payroll situation prevents us from getting good relievers Jack is the one who needs to step up. He needs to play to our relievers' strengths and hide their weaknesses by assigning them roles. For example there's no reason to allow Perisho to pitch to righthanded batters or to bring in a groundball pitcher (Bump) when the infield is forced to play in.

I agree with Rferry completely. Jack has MISUSED this pen and has over-managed this team at times. Too many lineup changes, too many situational pitching replacements. Give a guy a role, and let him get on a roll. You have to be patient - unusual that Jack isnt patient, since he is so friggin old.

That said, Jack has done a great job managing and this team knows what is expected. But I think the pressure is getting to some guys - those being mostly minor leaguers and fringe talents playing on the team now. These guys are trying to prove themselves and help their team win. But they dont always get the chance in the best situation - that is where Jack comes in. He has to do a better job of defining roles and letting guys pitch.

I think we have plenty of talent in the bullpen. Teams dont have a plethora of all-stars or great arms in their pens to begin with. Otherwise you would see these guys starting or closing games. Relievers just have to be a change of pace, throw hitters off and keep them from starting a rally. We got enough talent in the pen (and now at AAA) to do that.

And there is no reason to make a move because there is no situation yet that will grant us a significant upgrade.

We don't have the worst bullpen in the league , not even close, not even the worst 5 in the majors. We've blown save situations just 11 times. The Phillies and along with other competitive clubs are right there wih us between 9-17 blown saves this year.

Wow, that is a really low benchmark.

So we should feel blessed that we have the 20th best bullpen in the majors, and the 11th best in the NL?

A lot of what appears to by cycling guys through different roles is really trying to find someone who will step up to take the set up role. While to some that could be construed as mis-management, at this point of the season, it is more of an evaluation of talent (or lack thereof).

I don't see Jack as mis-using anyone. He is finding out whether he can count on a Bump, or Phelps, or Borland to pitch out of tough situations. Fox proved he could do it last year. Everyone is getting their chance, and so far nobody has stepped up.

Sure it would be preferential to find that 8th inning guy within our organization. Many guys are getting a look. But soon, we are going to come to the conclusion that we don't have the guy who is up to the challenge, and going outside is the best option. We need to settle this within the next few weeks as trading activity starts to heat up.

Guest Jack1

I'll echoe what others have said in that we need to put the bullpen into roles as opposed to the "human wave" theory of sending them all out there and last man standing wins.

Human wave theory.....good thinking....that's exactly what has been happening for the last month, month and a half. I haven't thought of it that way but that's exactly what Jack McKeon has been doing!

Its Jack's fault that the bullpen is filled with a bunch of pussies? Na... no way, They need to get outs no matter where they feel they are comfortable. stop treating them like a bunch of queers and hold them accountable for there s***ty performances.