Frank Robinson: on his way out????

FishFanPR

I just read an article in a Puerto Rican newspaper saying two very interesting things:

1) A lawyer from Miami, Scott Shapiro has submitted a proposal to move the Expos to Puerto Rico. There are currently two proposals (including Shapiro's) to relocate the Expos to PR.

2) There's rumors going around that players will ask team G.M. Omar MInaya to do away with team manager Frank Robinson. Apparently, the players are tired of Robinson's attitude, and some went as far as comparing him to Admin BOWA!!! Apparently, there's been tension in the clubhouse ever since Frank called for a team meeting and asked if anyone had something to say, and Jose Vidro just stood up and left to get some food or something!

for spanish speakers, here's the link:

http://www.endi.com/noticiat.asp?newsid={9...9}&cat=deportes

As a Puerto Rican, and obviously, connoiseur of the PR baseball market, I can guarantee that: MOVING THE EXPOS TO SAN JUAN WOULD BE A TERRIBLE MISTAKE!!! Why?

1) The Puerto Rican market is very volatile. If you think people in So.Fla. have issues regarding winning teams, you haven't met Puerto Ricans! People won't spend their hard earned money on a losing team, and second, they always demand the best....they won't conform with second tier baseball players. They want the superstars! This is what's happened this year so far: the teams that have played the Expos suck, and therefore the fans aren't going to the stadium! Evidence of this is the abissmal support that the PRBaseball League gets!!! The stadiums used to get full back in the days that Juan Gon, Pudge, Edgar and others used to play...but if they don't show up (they haven't for several years now), no one shows up either!

2) There's a lot of money in Puerto Rico, don't get me wrong...but, I'm not sure that an appropriate machinery can be generated in order to sustain a pro team for years and years! Let's face it: Having an MLB team is VERY costly. Look at Loria for example. He's mad rich, but there's some things that are simply out of his range! I'm not sure a given owner could come up and afford a player asking for a 10 year, 25 million contract, for example.

As a Puerto Rican, and obviously, connoiseur of the PR baseball market, I can guarantee that: MOVING THE EXPOS TO SAN JUAN WOULD BE A TERRIBLE MISTAKE!!! Why?

1) The Puerto Rican market is very volatile. If you think people in So.Fla. have issues regarding winning teams, you haven't met Puerto Ricans! People won't spend their hard earned money on a losing team, and second, they always demand the best....they won't conform with second tier baseball players. They want the superstars! This is what's happened this year so far: the teams that have played the Expos suck, and therefore the fans aren't going to the stadium! Evidence of this is the abissmal support that the PRBaseball League gets!!! The stadiums used to get full back in the days that Juan Gon, Pudge, Edgar and others used to play...but if they don't show up (they haven't for several years now), no one shows up either!

2) There's a lot of money in Puerto Rico, don't get me wrong...but, I'm not sure that an appropriate machinery can be generated in order to sustain a pro team for years and years! Let's face it: Having an MLB team is VERY costly. Look at Loria for example. He's mad rich, but there's some things that are simply out of his range! I'm not sure a given owner could come up and afford a player asking for a 10 year, 25 million contract, for example.

I know it'd be terrible because the attendance is pitiful there but it'd still be awesome.

Guest Moneyball

2) There's a lot of money in Puerto Rico, don't get me wrong...but, I'm not sure that an appropriate machinery can be generated in order to sustain a pro team for years and years! Let's face it: Having an MLB team is VERY costly. Look at Loria for example. He's mad rich, but there's some things that are simply out of his range! I'm not sure a given owner could come up and afford a player asking for a 10 year, 25 million contract, for example

SEE: Bandwagoner