Many shocked at CBS/Infinity Broadcasting/AOL

CapeFish

This is usually reserved for newsmakers such as the Secretary of Defense, Secretary of State, Governors, Senators, etc. but this forum is now being used by Bill Clinton to prop up his new book and many GM's at CBS/Infinity's stations were forced to take this special, along with the 60 Minutes interview and air it completely and live.

June 15, 2004

INFINITY BROADCASTING AND AMERICA ONLINE TO PRESENT

"BILL CLINTON CONNECTS WITH AMERICA" ON THURSDAY, JUNE 24

In An Interview After Publication Of My Life, Clinton To Talk About His New

Book And Take Questions From Infinity Radio Listeners And AOL? Members

Across The Country

Exclusive Audio Excerpts From My Life Read By Clinton To Air On Infinity

Stations And The AOL? Service Prior To Book's Release

Beginning On Friday, June 18

Infinity Broadcasting and America Online, Inc., will present BILL CLINTON

CONNECTS WITH AMERICA, a one-hour, live interactive town hall with former

President Clinton, on Thursday, June 24 (6:00-7:00PM, ET) on Infinity and

AOL? for Broadband and AOL. In an interview following the publication of My

Life, Clinton will talk live about his experiences leading up to and during

the White House years, as well as answer questions from Infinity listeners

and AOL members across the country.

CBS News' Harry Smith, co-anchor of THE EARLY SHOW, will serve as moderator

of the event, which will be broadcast on select Infinity news and news-talk

radio stations (complete list of participating stations attached). AOL? for

Broadband members will have exclusive access to live video of the event. AOL

will also make portions of this exclusive content available publicly on the

Web at www.aol.com.

As part of the exclusive agreement, Infinity stations will broadcast select

excerpts from My Life read by the author starting on Friday, June 18.

Beginning on the same day, all AOL members also will be able to access the

audio excerpts on demand, as well as other audio and video content related

to the book and Clinton's life.

Published by Alfred A. Knopf, My Life is one of the most eagerly awaited

books of recent time. The book goes on sale on June 22 with a first printing

of 1.5 million copies.

"This is a rare opportunity to be able to provide Americans a chance to

speak directly with the former President," said Steve Rivers, President of

Programming, Infinity Broadcasting. "Listener-driven interviews of this

caliber engage the audience in an up-close and personal conversation.

Infinity has had tremendous success with this type of candid format and look

forward to a unique and entertaining dialogue."

(More)page...2

"We are thrilled that our members will be able to send President Clinton

questions for him to answer live online, and listen to audio excerpts from

his new memoir," said Jim Bankoff, Executive Vice President, AOL

Programming. "This is just the kind of exclusive content and great original

programming that our members - both high-speed on AOL? for Broadband and

dial-up on AOL - have come to expect, whether they are music lovers, movie

fans, news hounds, or sports junkies. In fact, we recently revamped our

books area to better serve our legions of book-loving members with in-depth

content, exclusive excerpts and interactions with some of today's

best-selling authors."

Infinity Broadcasting is one of the largest major-market radio operators in

the United States, with stations covering the news, modern rock, oldies,

country, FM talk, classic rock and urban formats. Infinity owns 185 radio

stations, the majority of which are in the nation's top 50 markets and reach

more than 76 million listeners a week and is also home to 27 of the

country's leading sports franchises amongst the NFL, MLB, the NBA and NHL.

America Online, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Time Warner Inc. Based

in Dulles, Virginia, America Online is the world's leader in interactive

services, Web Brands, Internet technologies and e-commerce services.

The Following Infinity Broadcasting Radio Stations Will Broadcast

Select Excerpts of My Life beginning on Friday, June 18, as well as "CLINTON

CONNECTS WITH AMERICA" on Thursday, June 24 (6:00-7:00PM)

New York WINS-AM

Los Angeles KNX-AM

Chicago WBBM-AM

San Francisco KCBS-AM

Dallas KRLD-AM

Philadelphia KYW-AM/ WPHT-AM

Houston KIKK-AM

Boston WBZ-AM

Detroit WWJ-AM

Minneapolis WCCO-AM

St. Louis KMOX-AM

Pittsburgh KDKA-AM

San Antonio KTSA-AM

Las Vegas KXNT-AM

Austin KJCE-AM

Greensboro WSJS-AM

Hartford WTIC-AM

Fresno KMJ-AM

This is unheard of in the radio industry, to have a radio network force 1 hour of preemption on it's most prestigious newsradios for a 1 hour infomercial.

For the record, Clear Channel would never do this for anyone. I love how Democrats say the media is biased to the right, when Clinton is making 5 appearance on national TV in 4 days for a book that has flopped in a majority of major book markets and something that has no newsmaker value.

Washington DC is missing because the affiliate's talent (even though owned by CBS/Infinity) threatened to go on strike again if this was done where their show was cut.

WCBS in New York didn't simulcast this because the Yankees were on. Steinbrenner would have exploded if his Yankees were bumped for Clinton.

I love how Democrats say the media is biased to the right

When has anyone here has said it's to the right. It's right in the middle and I have always said that. Also before you come back with the obvious the media is to the left, ABC wouldn't air The 700 Club plain and simple if it was to the left.

I've seen media markets and radio channels have relegious infomercials and such and I have a hunch their to the right so I hope your equally angered by those infomercials.

I love how Democrats say the media is biased to the right

When has anyone here has said it's to the right. It's right in the middle and I have always said that. Also before you come back with the obvious the media is to the left, ABC wouldn't air The 700 Club plain and simple if it was to the left.

I've seen media markets and radio channels have relegious infomercials and such and I have a hunch their to the right so I hope your equally angered by those infomercials. There have been people on this board who have said it.

The reason ABC Family airs the 700 Club is because the 700 Club's production company used to own the Family Channel (sold then to FOX, who then sold it to ABC) and has a long term contract to have the show air on the Family Channel.

But that is TV, in radio, an infomercial on a newsradio would make me very angry. Using the CBS Radio Network's Town Hall series, which was last used to interview Donald Rumsfeld on Afghanistan's conflict, for a book tour promotion was low.

That is like having the Network Nightly News have a sit down with Clinton for 30 minutes to promo his book. It would be out of place for a newscast right?

I am so glad my local CBS Radio affiliate WINK-AM didn't pick this up. Neither did any other stations who weren't in Infinity's ownership.

WINK-TV and all the other CBS stations still aired 60 Minutes, but that belongs there. 60 Minutes is a news magazine, not a town hall meeting.

I'm not sure but breaking in music is not exactly breaking into the news and I would be willing to bet that this does better in almost all markets than normal programming, if that's the case then what's the problems because you yourself said that a buisness has the right to decide what's best for it's company.

Also, numerous newscast always have "experts" in the field usually with a book to hawk to come on their show. I watched Dr. Laura hawk her book on O'reilly a fews ago was this a problem? Their's always these people coming on to sell their books from both sides on newscasts. What's the problem there?

I'm not sure but breaking in music is not exactly breaking into the news and I would be willing to bet that this does better in almost all markets than normal programming, if that's the case then what's the problems because you yourself said that a buisness has the right to decide what's best for it's company.

Also, numerous newscast always have "experts" in the field usually with a book to hawk to come on their show. I watched Dr. Laura hawk her book on O'reilly a fews ago was this a problem? Their's always these people coming on to sell their books from both sides on newscasts. What's the problem there?

Rune, look at all the stations listed. In your own Philly, KYW-AM and WPHT-AM do not air music.

The Factor is not a newscast, it is a topical talk show. :banghead

This was a town hall meeting/infomercial passed off as a special presentation of CBS News.

I find it to be more of an indictment of media consolidation and conglomoration than anything else.

But then again, the Democrats keep telling us that big corporations are bad, and that it's the Republicans' fault for being corporate lapdogs. And yet here we are witnessing the poster child of the Democratic party taking advantage of it.

Hmmmm.....

I find it to be more of an indictment of media consolidation and conglomoration than anything else.

But then again, the Democrats keep telling us that big corporations are bad, and that it's the Republicans' fault for being corporate lapdogs. And yet here we are witnessing the poster child of the Democratic party taking advantage of it.

Hmmmm.....

"It was just there..."

- Bill Clinton

Rune, look at all the stations listed. In your own Philly, KYW-AM and WPHT-AM do not air music.

The Factor is not a newscast, it is a topical talk show. :banghead

This was a town hall meeting/infomercial passed off as a special presentation of CBS News.

Since when is living two hours from a city considered "your own".

Thank you for proving the point with O'Reilly, Radio is for specialty programs most of the time, different forms of music, talk, occasionally news so to say that this is like interrupting news is like saying that closing a country road that you can connect to an interstate for construction is blocking off major traffic across this country. It's a small fraction of anything, it's hardly blocking off news. When a sports event blocks off news on one network do you get your picket signs ready Cape crying "Their blocking the news for something not everyone cares about". Their's so many other options for news it's ridiculous yet your crying foul, foul.

Just an honest question and I hope your being completly honest if this was for a conservative would you care?

Oh and as I mentioned before this will do better than almost all those outlets for ratings and you said it yourself companies have the right to decide what's best for their company, so I assume you carry over the same opinion on the clear channel as CBS because I have to say they seem a little different.

Rune,

This was not a ratings stunt because it did not attract affiliates to air it, heck, their DC station WJFK-FM couldn't justify airing it. It was a corporate shovedown infomercial.

Ignore the rest of the post but ok...

You just said they were not forced to air it, so what was the problem? You keep on saying The Clear CHannel has a right to do what they want with their company yet CBS doesn't because oh my god they air a program where you can talk to an ex president.

Rune,

This was not a ratings stunt because it did not attract affiliates to air it, heck, their DC station WJFK-FM couldn't justify airing it. It was a corporate shovedown infomercial.

Ignore the rest of the post but ok...

You just said they were not forced to air it, so what was the problem? You keep on saying The Clear CHannel has a right to do what they want with their company yet CBS doesn't because oh my god they air a program where you can talk to an ex president. I have no problem with them airing him, but don't do it as a CBS News Town Hall Metting. 60 Minutes is ok, but using the Connect Town Hall Meeting Brand for this is not correct.

Here was the last Town Hall Meeting on CBS/Infinity

http://www.defenselink.mil/transcripts/200...secdef0230.html

Sound appropriate to use those two subjects as specials of the same brand that is geared at news?