Notes on Vlad Nunez...

Hotcorner

from Sportsline.com

--The Marlins' success depends on their pitching, and one pitcher they miss is Vladimir Nunez, who led the team with 20 saves last year.

But Jack McKeon, who started managing the Marlins on May 11, hasn't seen that Nunez.

"What I've seen his last two times out, I ain't missing him," McKeon said about the struggling reliever who was demoted Tuesday to Triple-A Albuquerque for the second time this year.

Nunez, who makes $1.4 million, was 0-3 with a 16.03 ERA this season -- a mystery to his teammates who saw how effectively he pitched last year.

"He pulled me aside (last weekend) and said, 'What can I do?' " recalled left-handed reliever Armando Almanza. "I just told him to keep at it. In reality, I didn't know what to tell him."

Others suggested that Nunez needed to improve his work ethic and may have taken his major league status for granted.

For example, Nunez was often was the last one to show up in the bullpen, sometimes arriving in the second or third inning while the other relievers were there for the National Anthem.

Some Marlins quietly questioned the wisdom of bringing his son to pregame practice. Last weekend, just days after being recalled from Albuquerque, Nunez could be seen hitting fungoes to his son while coaches tried to offer instruction.

"What I've seen his last two times out, I ain't missing him," McKeon said...

:p Gotta love Trader Jack. Pulls no punches.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.